Indigenous Artists and Cultural Carriers Micro-grant
The Indigenous Artists and Cultural Carriers Micro-grant supports Indigenous Yukon artists and cultural carriers with accessible and timely funding.
How much can you apply for?
You can apply for up to $5,000.
Who can apply?
You can apply to this program to complete a project. You have to be Indigenous and an emerging or established:
- arts worker; or
- cultural carrier.
Eligible applicants are:
- Indigenous people who’ve lived in the Yukon for at least 1 continuous year when they apply;
- Yukon First Nations who live in the Yukon; and
- Yukon First Nations who previously lived in the Yukon and maintain ties to the territory.
Types of projects and activities
The program supports a variety of creative and cultural projects and activities. Some examples include:
- creating new work;
- mentorships with established artists or knowledge keepers;
- attendance at workshops, conferences, craft fairs or arts events;
- travel within and outside the territory for professional or artistic development and opportunities;
- podcast projects;
- business plans with a priority on emerging artists;
- activities that build partnerships between the creative and cultural industries and the business sector; and
- preparation for selling work (for example, preparing display cases for market readiness).
Who cannot apply?
- A person under the age of 16
- A person or group who submits more than 1 application at a time
- A person or group with outstanding reports for any previous Yukon government arts funding
- A person or group whose submission is incomplete
There are 2 tiers of funding available. Funding can cover 100 per cent of eligible expenses.
Tier 1: Up to $1,500
Tier 2: $1,501 to $5,000
How to apply
Please contact the Indigenous outreach liaison with questions or to discuss your project. Email email@example.com or call 867-333-5602.
View the application form and guidelines.
The arts advisors will assess the applications against the program’s:
- requirements; and
They’ll assess applications on the potential impacts and benefits of the activity, and not on artistic excellence or experience.
We'll notify you of the results in writing within:
- 5 working days for tier 1; or
- 10 working days for tier 2.
You can submit your application as of January 1, 2023. The grant has a rolling intake and you can apply at any time.
Who provides the funding?
The grant embodies the principles and objectives of Creative Potential: Advancing the Yukon’s Creative and Cultural Industries strategy.
The Government of Yukon and the Canada Council for the Arts manage the funding program.