- Determine if you are eligible
- Complete the application form
- Provide all other supporting documents required
- Pay your fee
- Submit your application, supporting documents and fee
Determine if you are eligible
All practical nurses in Yukon must hold a licence.
Apply for a courtesy licence if you want to work in Yukon for the purpose of teaching or research and use the title courtesy practical nurse.
We accept and process new licensed practical nurse applications on an ongoing basis. Courtesy licences are valid for the time requested by the applicant. We do not renew courtesy applications.
You can apply for a courtesy licence if you meet 1 of the following sets of requirements.
- You have graduated from an approved LPN nursing program and passed the Canadian Practical Nurse Registration Examination (CPNRE).
- You hold a current, full LPN licence in another Canadian jurisdiction and are in good standing in that jurisdiction.
- You hold an international degree/diploma, can demonstrate that your education and competence is appropriate for the purpose of your visit to Yukon.
You must also meet all other requirements listed in the following steps.
Complete the application form
Provide all other supporting documents required
1. Copies of 2 pieces of government-issued ID showing your current legal name
- 1 piece of ID must demonstrate your ability to legally work in Canada.
- At least 1 of your 2 pieces must be photo ID.
2. International applicants must also provide a work or student visa
These do not count as 1 of your 2 pieces of ID. However, you must provide this additional documentation if this proves you are allowed to work in Canada.
Acceptable forms of photo ID.
- Canadian or US driver’s licence
- Certificate of Canadian Citizenship with photo
- Permanent Resident Card with photo
- Certificate of Indian Status issued with photo
- Provincially issued identification card with photo
Acceptable forms of non-photo ID.
- Birth certificate
- Certificate of Canadian Citizenship with no photo
- Certification of Naturalization
3. Verification of registration in another Canadian jurisdiction
- Complete the first section of the form.
- Send the form to the appropriate regulatory body.
- The regulatory body will return the fully completed form directly to us.
- We do not accept forms submitted by applicants.
4. A copy of your LPN program diploma that a lawyer or notary public has signed
5. A letter from the organization using your teaching or research services, indicating the purpose and length of your visit to Yukon
Pay your fee
- Registration fee (non-refundable): $40
- Licence fee: $0
Complete the payment information form and include this and the fee with your application. You can pay your licence fee by cheque or credit card.
Submit your application, supporting documents and fee
Submit your entire application package. This must include:
- your completed application form;
- all supporting documents; and
- payment information form and licence fee.
We typically process applications within 10 business days. We will return applications to you if you have not provided all the required documentation.
Submit your application package
- In person or by courier: 307 Black Street in Whitehorse. We are open Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Our office postal code is Y1A 2N1.
- Email: email@example.com
- Fax: 867-667-3609
Government of Yukon
Professional Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (C-5)
Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6
For questions about applying for a courtesy practical nurse licence email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone: 867-667-5111 or toll free in Yukon: 1-800-661-0408, ext 5111.