- Determine if you are eligible
- Complete the application form
- Provide all other supporting documents required
- Pay your annual fee
- Submit your application, supporting documents and fee
Determine if you are eligible
All practical nurses in Yukon must hold a licence.
You should apply for an interim licence if you have not completed the Canadian Practical Nurse Registration Examination (CPNRE).
An interim licence will allow you to work under supervision and use the title of interim practical nurse.
We accept and process new interim LPN applications on an ongoing basis. However, you must renew your licence every year. All LPN licences expire annually on January 31.
You can apply for an interim licence if you meet all of the following requirements.
- You have graduated from an approved LPN nursing program.
- You have registered to write the CPNRE examination.
- You have a supervisor who holds a full licence in Yukon.
- You have never renewed your licence or have renewed it only once.
- You meet the requirements in steps 2 to 5.
International graduates are not eligible for an interim licence. You must first hold a licence in a Canadian province. Learn how to become an LPN in Canada.
Complete the application form
Provide all other supporting documents required
You must also provide the following with your application.
1. Copies of 2 pieces of government-issued ID showing your current legal name
- 1 piece of your ID must demonstrate your ability to legally work in Canada.
- At least 1 of your 2 pieces must be photo ID.
2. International applicants must also provide a work or student visa
These will not count as 1 of your 2 pieces of ID. However, you must provide this additional documentation if this proves you are allowed to work in Canada.
Acceptable forms of photo ID.
- Canadian or US driver’s licence
- Certificate of Canadian Citizenship with photo
- Permanent Resident Card with photo
- Certificate of Indian Status issued with photo
- Provincially issued identification card with photo
Acceptable forms of non-photo ID.
- Birth certificate
- Certificate of Canadian Citizenship with no photo
- Certification of Naturalization
3. Verification of registration
Submit this form if you are registered to practice in another jurisdiction.
- Complete the first section of the form.
- Send the form to the appropriate regulatory body.
- The regulatory body will return the fully completed form directly to Professional Licensing and Regulatory Affairs.
- We do not accept forms submitted by applicants.
4. A copy of your LPN program diploma that a lawyer or notary public has signed
5. A copy of your confirmation of registration for the CPNRE
6. Criminal record check, including vulnerable sector check
- Visit your local RCMP detachment to request the record check.
- If you live in Yukon, the RCMP will send your results directly to us. In this case, you do not need to send in your application package with this document included.
- If you live outside Yukon, the RCMP may send the results directly to you. In this case, you should wait to receive your record check from the RCMP before submitting your application package.
Pay your annual fee
- Registration fee (non-refundable): $40
- Licence fee: $200
Complete the payment information form and include this and your fee with your application. You can pay your licence fee by cheque or credit card.
Submit your application, supporting documents and fee
Submit your entire application package. This must include:
- your completed application form;
- all supporting documents; and
- your payment form and licence fee.
We typically process applications within 10 business days. We will return applications to you if you have not provided all the required documentation.
Submit your application package:
- In person or by courier: 307 Black Street in Whitehorse. We are open Monday to Friday from 8:30 to 4:30 p.m. Our office postal code is Y1A 2N1.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fax: 867-667-3609
Government of Yukon
Professional Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (C-5)
Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6
For questions about applying for an interim practical nurse licence email email@example.com or phone: 867-667-5111 or toll free in Yukon: 1-800-661-0408, ext 5111.