- Determine if you are eligible
- Complete the application form
- Provide proof of continuing competency requirements
- Provide all other supporting documents required
- Pay your annual fee
- Submit your application, supporting documents and fee
Determine if you are eligible
All practical nurses in Yukon must hold a licence.
Apply for a full licence if you are planning to use the title of licensed practical nurse (LPN) and work to the full extent of your training and Yukon regulations.
We accept new LPN applications on an ongoing basis, but you must renew your licence every year. All LPN licences expire annually on January 31.
You can apply for a full licence if you meet one of the following requirements:
- You graduated from an approved licensed practical nurse (LPN) nursing program within the past 4 years and passed the Canadian Practical Nurse Registration Examination (CPNRE);
- You have graduated from an approved LPN nursing program more than 4 years ago, and passed the CPNRE within one year of your application;
- You do not hold a current licence but meet all the continuing competency requirements listed below;
- You hold a current, full LPN licence in another Canadian jurisdiction and you are in good standing in that jurisdiction. This is the only option for international graduates.
You must also meet all other requirements listed in the following steps.
Complete the application form
Complete all sections of the application form. Do not leave a section blank. You may enter “not applicable” when it is relevant. We will return incomplete applications.
At the top of the application form, choose full or a temporary full licence. Choose temporary full if you will practice in Yukon for less than a 3-month period in a licence year.
Provide proof of continuing competency requirements
You must fill out this section unless you:
- hold a full licence in another jurisdiction; or
- have graduated in the past 4 years; or
- have passed the Canadian Practical Nurse Registration Examination (CPNRE) in the past year.
Continuing competency requirements
You must meet the following.
- Completed at least 1,000 professional practice hours in the four-year period immediately before your application.
- Between 60 and 300 of these 1,000 hours must have involved continuing professional education.
- No more than 300 of these 1,000 hours have involved professional volunteer service.
Provide the following completed forms with your application. We will return applications that are missing required documentation.
1. Verification of employment
This form helps us validate your 1,000 plus professional practice hours. Complete this form with your employer. We require one form for each of your previous employers.
2. Annual continuing education
This form helps us validate your continuing education hours. Complete and submit this form for each of the past four years. For example, if you are applying in 2019, you would submit four forms: one each for 2018, 2017, 2016 and 2015.
3. Continuing education supporting documents
Provide a supporting document for every continuing education activity listed on your annual continuing education form that is more than four hours. This documentation must include:
- your name;
- proof of the number of hours you completed; and
- date you completed the hours.
If you do not have a document with this information, then you may complete the verification of completed continuing education form with either the course provider/instructor or your supervisor.
4. Verification of volunteer hours form
This form helps us validate your volunteer hours. Complete and submit this form with your volunteer organization. We require one form for each organization.
The continuing competency guide provides additional guidance and examples of what forms we accept.
Provide all other supporting documents required
You must also provide the following with your application
1. Copies of two pieces of government-issued ID showing your current legal name
- One must demonstrate your ability to legally work in Canada.
- At least one of the two pieces must be photo ID.
2. International applicants must also provide a work or student visa
These do not count as one of your two pieces of ID. However, you must provide this additional documentation of proof of eligibility to work in Canada.
Acceptable forms of photo ID.
- Canadian or US driver’s licence
- Certificate of Canadian Citizenship with photo
- Permanent Resident Card with photo
- Certificate of Indian Status issued with photo
- Provincially issued identification card with photo
Acceptable forms of non-photo ID.
- Birth certificate
- Certificate of Canadian Citizenship with no photo
- Certification of Naturalization
3. Verification of registration in another jurisdiction form
Submit this form if you are registered to practice in another jurisdiction.
- Complete the first section of the form.
- Send the form to the appropriate regulatory body.
- The regulatory body will return the fully completed form directly to Professional Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (PLRA).
- We do not accept forms submitted by applicants.
4. A copy of your LPN program diploma that a lawyer or notary public has signed
5. Criminal record check, including vulnerable sector check
- Visit your local RCMP detachment to request the record check.
- If you live in Yukon, the RCMP will send your results directly to Professional Licensing and Regulatory Affairs. In this case, you do not need to send in your application package with this document included.
- If you live outside Yukon, the RCMP may send the results directly to you. In this case, you should wait to receive your record check from the RCMP before submitting your application package.
Pay your annual fee
Full LPN licence:
- Registration (non-refundable): $40.
- Licence: $200.
Temporary full LPN licence:
- Registration (non-refundable): $40
- Licence: $50
You can pay your licence fee by cheque or credit card. Complete the payment information form and include this and your fee with your application.
Submit your application, supporting documents and fee
Submit your entire application package. This must include:
- your completed application form;
- all supporting documents; and
- payment information form and licence fee.
We typically process applications within 10 business days. We will return applications if you have not provided all the required documentation.
Submit your application package:
- In person or by courier: 307 Black Street in Whitehorse. We are open Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Our office postal code is Y1A 2N1.
- Email: email@example.com
- Fax: 867-667-3609
Government of Yukon
Professional Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (C-5)
Whitehorse, YT Y1A 2C6
For questions about the application process for a fully licensed practical nurse, email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone: 867-667-5111 or toll free in Yukon: 1-800-661-0408, ext 5111.