Apply as a physician for a rural permit to practice pharmacy

  1. Determine if you’re eligible
  2. Complete the application form
  3. Provide all other supporting documents required
  4. Pay your fees
  5. Submit your application, supporting documents and fees
  1. Determine if you’re eligible

    Physicians working in licensed rural dispensaries in Yukon can apply for a rural permit to:

    • compound;
    • dispense; or
    • sell medications.


    Apply for registration and a permit if you're planning to:

    • use the title of rural permit holder; and
    • work to the full extent of your training and Yukon regulations.


    We accept and process new applications on an ongoing basis. But you must renew your licence every year. All rural permits expire annually on March 31.

    We may not approve you for registration or licensing if you've had complaints, disciplinary or criminal action against you.



    You can register and apply for a rural permit if you meet all the following requirements.

    • You hold a current medical or specialist licence in Yukon and are in good standing.
    • As of August 1, 2021, you will have to successfully complete Yukon’s jurisprudence exam for rural permit holders.


  2. Complete the application form

    Complete all sections of the application form. Do not leave a section blank. You may enter “not applicable” when it’s relevant. We may return incomplete applications.

  3. Provide all other supporting documents required

    Gather and submit these documents with your application package.


    Current photo ID

    • Provide 1 copy of a piece of photo ID.
    • The ID must be issued by a territorial, provincial or federal government body.
    • The ID must show your current legal name.
    • We do not accept a healthcare card as a form of ID.


    Criminal record checks

    • We require Canadian criminal record and vulnerable sector checks from all rural permit applicants.
    • Visit your local RCMP or police detachment to request a check.
    • The RCMP or police must complete the check no more than 90 days before you submit your application.
    • Ask the RCMP or police to send the results directly to your mailing address or make the results available for pickup.

    International criminal record check

    We only require this from applicants who have:

    • lived in a jurisdiction outside Canada within the 6 months before applying for this licence; or
    • practised pharmacy outside Canada.


    Proof of this check must be dated no more than 3 months before your application.

    Contact Professional Licensing and Regulatory Affairs directly for more information.

  4. Pay your fees


    Registration and annual licence fee: $100.


    Payment method

    You can pay your fees by cheque or credit card. Complete the payment information form and include this and your fees with your application.

  5. Submit your application, supporting documents and fees

    Submit your entire application package. This must include:

    • your completed application form;
    • all required supporting documents; and
    • your payment form and fees.


    We typically process applications within 10 business days. We will confirm you have met all legal requirements before issuing a permit.

    We may return your application if you have not provided all the required documentation. ​


    Submit your application package

    • In person or by courier at 307 Black Street, Whitehorse, Y1A 2N1. We are open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m to 4:30 p.m PST.
    • Email:
    • Fax: 867-667-3609
    • Mail:
      Government of Yukon
      Professional Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (C-5)
      Box 2703
      Whitehorse, YT Y1A 2C6



For questions about applying for a rural permit, email: or phone: 867-667-5111 or toll free in Yukon 1-800-661-0408 ext. 5111.