- Determine if your agency is eligible
- Complete the application form
- Provide all other required supporting documents
- Pay your fees
- Submit the application, supporting documents and fees
Determine if your agency is eligible
All security agencies in Yukon must hold a valid licence.
There are 4 classes of licences security agencies can hold in Yukon:
- security guard;
- private investigator;
- security consultant; and
- burglar alarm agent.
We accept new applications on an ongoing basis. The agency must renew its licence every year. All security agency licences expire annually on March 31.
Agencies are eligible to apply for a licence if they meet all the following requirements.
- The applicant(s) must be at least 19 years old.
- The agency must have an office located in Yukon.
- The agency must hold a minimum of $100,000 in liability insurance.
- The agency must hold a bond of $5,000.
Depending on the business type, agencies must also meet 1 of the following requirements.
The sole proprietor must have Canadian citizenship or permanent resident status.
All partners must have Canadian citizenship or permanent resident status.
The majority of the board of directors must have Canadian citizenship or permanent resident status.
Complete the application form
Complete all sections of the application form. Do not leave a section blank. Enter "not applicable" when it's relevant.
Who can complete the form?
- The agency owner.
- An agency partner or a member of the agency's board of directors.
- At the top of the form, select the licence class the agency is renewing.
- An agency can renew more than 1 class on 1 application.
- The applicant must sign and complete the affidavit on the form.
- The applicant must also have a notary public witness and sign the affidavit.
- We may return incomplete applications.
Provide all other required supporting documents
Gather together the following documents and provide these with your complete application package.
Current photo ID
- Provide 1 copy of a piece of ID for the agency owner.
- If applicable, you must also provide a copy of 1 piece of ID for each business partner and board member.
- The ID must be issued by a territorial, provincial or federal government body.
- The ID must show each person’s current legal name.
- We do not accept a healthcare card as a form of ID.
Proof of Canadian citizenship or permanent resident status
- Provide proof for the agency owner.
- If applicable, you must also provide proof for each business partner and each member of the board of directors.
- We accept the following as proof:
- certified copy of a Canadian birth certificate;
- certified copy of a Canadian passport; or
- certified copy of a Canadian work permit.
Criminal record check
- Provide a criminal record check for the agency’s owner.
- If applicable, also provide a check for each manager, business partner and member of the board of directors.
- Anyone in the agency who requires a criminal record check should request this from their local RCMP detachment.
- The RCMP will send the results directly to the requester’s mailing address or will make the results available for pickup.
- The licence applicant should then include the results of all criminal record checks with the application package.
- The RCMP must complete the checks no more than 90 days before the date the agency submits the application package.
Proof of liability insurance
- The agency must hold liability insurance in the amount of $100,000, or more.
- We accept photocopies of liability insurance as proof.
Proof of surety bond of $5,000
- An insurance company licensed in Yukon must issue the surety bond.
- We accept photocopies of the bond as proof.
Photos of proposed uniforms, badges, rank insignia or equipment
- Only security guard agencies must provide this.
- Your agency must notify our office if it makes any changes to these items during the licence year.
Pay your fees
Annual licence fees
- First licence class: $50.
- Each subsequent licence class: $25 per class.
An agency can pay its fees by cheque or credit card. Complete the payment information form and include this and the fees with the agency application.
Submit the application, supporting documents and fees
Submit the entire application package. This must include:
- the completed application form;
- all required supporting documents; and
- the payment form and fees.
We typically process applications within 10 business days. We will confirm the agency has met all legal requirements before issuing a licence. We may return the application if the agency has not provided all the required documentation.
Submit the application package
- In person or by courier at 307 Black Street, Whitehorse Y1A 2N1. We are open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m to 4:30 p.m.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fax: 867-667-3609
Government of Yukon
Professional Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (C-5)
Whitehorse, YT Y1A 2C6
For questions about applying for a security agency licence, email: email@example.com or phone: 867-667-5111 or toll free in Yukon 1-800-661-0408 ext. 5111.