- Determine if you're eligible
- Complete the application form
- Provide all other required supporting documents
- Pay your fees
- Submit your application, supporting documents and fees
Determine if you're eligible
All security professionals in Yukon must hold a Yukon licence.
There are 4 classes of licences security professionals can hold in Yukon:
- security guard;
- private investigator;
- security consultant; and
- burglar alarm agent.
We accept new licence applications on an ongoing basis. You must renew your licence every year. All security professional licences expire annually on March 31.
You're eligible to apply for a licence if you:
- are an individual employed by a security agency that holds a valid Yukon licence; and
- are at least 19 years of age.
Complete the application form
Complete all sections of the application form. Do not leave a section blank. You may enter "not applicable" when it's relevant.
- Make sure to mark on the top of the form which licence class(es) you're applying for.
- You can apply for more than 1 class on your application.
- You must sign and complete the affidavit on the form.
- You must also have a notary public witness and sign the affidavit.
- We may return incomplete applications.
Provide all other required supporting documents
Gather together the following documents and provide them with your complete application.
Current photo ID
- Provide 1 copy of a piece of photo ID.
- The ID must be issued by a territorial, provincial or federal government body.
- The ID must show your current legal name.
- We do not accept a healthcare card as a form of ID.
Proof of Canadian citizenship or permanent resident status
- We accept the following as proof:
- certified copy of a Canadian birth certificate;
- certified copy of a Canadian passport; or
- certified copy of a Canadian work permit.
Criminal record checks
- Visit your local RCMP detachment to request these checks:
- criminal record;
- vulnerable sector; and
- fingerprint check.
- You must ask RCMP to complete all 3 checks.
- Ask the RCMP to send the results directly to your mailing address or pick up the results from the detachment.
- The RCMP must complete the checks no more than 90 days before you submit your licence application.
- Provide 2 photographs.
- Photo size should be 2 inches by 2 ¾ inches (standard passport size).
- The photos must show a recent image of yourself.
Verification of employment for business professions form
- Complete this form and then ensure your employer signs it.
Authorization to carry firearms
We require this proof from all applicants who will work for a security agency that provides armoured car services.
- You must provide notarized copies of the following with your application:
- a copy of your possession and acquisition licence (PAL); and
- a copy of your authorization to carry restricted firearms or prohibited handguns certificate.
- You must have a notary public notarize the copies.
Canine supporting documentation
- If you will work with dogs, you must provide the appropriate documentation.
- Contact Professional Licensing and Regulatory Affairs for more information.
Pay your fees
Annual licence fee: $10 per licence class.
You can pay your fees by cheque or credit card. Complete the payment information form and include this and your fees with your application.
Submit your application, supporting documents and fees
Submit your entire application package. This must include:
- your completed application form;
- all required supporting documents; and
- your payment form and fees.
We typically process applications within 10 business days. We will confirm you have met all legal requirements before issuing a licence.
We may return your application if you have not provided all the required documentation.
Submit your application package
- In person or by courier at 307 Black Street, Whitehorse Y1A 2N1. We are open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m to 4:30 p.m.
- Email: email@example.com
- Fax: 867-667-3609
Government of Yukon
Professional Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (C-5)
Whitehorse, YT Y1A 2C6
For questions about applying for a security guard, private investigator, security consultant, or burglar alarm agent licence, email: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone: 867-667-5111 or toll free in Yukon 1-800-661-0408 ext. 5111.