Y2C2 and COVID-19
We learned a lot in 2020! Y2C2 is planning for a full summer of projects and hiring all 16 student staff for 2021. The scope and locations of our projects will depend on the COVID-19 situation. We will follow guidelines from the Chief Medical Officer of Health and have an operational plan in place.
The pandemic continues but we will do what we can to provide student jobs and work to improve our Yukon home.
What is Y2C2?
The Yukon Youth Conservation Corps (Y2C2) is a summer employment and training program for Yukon students. It focuses on environmental education and enhancement.
Crews of 4 to 5 students work on a diverse array of conservation projects throughout Yukon. These projects are proposed and overseen by community groups, First Nations, federal and territorial governments, municipalities and individuals. Conservation Action Team Leaders facilitate 8 to 10 day expedition programs for youth entering grades 7 to 10.
Y2C2 jobs are not part of the STEP program. Y2C2 wages are comparible to STEP.
- You are between 16 and 29 years of age.
- You are a full-time high school or post-secondary student and either graduating or planning to return to full-time studies in the fall.
- You have lived in Yukon for at least 1 full year before beginning your present studies.
- The deadline for all Y2C2 and CAT positions is February 14, 2021.
- Applications for field workers are due by May 30, 2021.
How to apply
- Review the job descriptions for the positions below.
Conservation camp assistant (2 positions, $20.19/hour for 13 weeks plus camp bonus, $21.64/hour if hired for second year).
Crew leader (2 positions, $23.15/hour for 13 weeks plus camp bonus, $24.77/hour if hired for second year).
Green Team steward (1 position, $21.64/hour for 16 weeks, $23.15/hour if hired for second year).
Green Team special projects worker (3 positions, $20.19/hour for 13 weeks, $21.64/hour if hired for second year).
Field worker (8 positions, $13.98 /hr for 8 weeks, $14.61/hour if hired for second year)
- Decide which position(s) you want to apply for.
- Complete the Youth Programs student employment application form.
- Submit your completed application form and resume to Y2C2@yukon.ca. Attach your documents in .doc or PDF formats. In the subject line, write "Y2C2 Application - Your Name". Applications may also be dropped off at the front desk of the Environment Office at 10 Burns Road or mailed to:
Government of Yukon
Habitat Programs (V-5R)
c/o Youth Programs coordinator
Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6
- You will recieive a confirmation email and will be notified of next steps by the Youth Programs Coordinator
- Complete an online resume profile if you are successful in joining the team or are interested in applying for other jobs offered by the Government of Yukon.
For questions about applying for Y2C2, email Y2C2@yukon.ca or phone: 867-667-3041 or toll free in Yukon: 1-800-661-0408, ext. 3041.