We have sample sets of bylaws that societies can use to make sure their bylaws comply with the new Societies Act. If you want to adopt our sample bylaws, you have options to choose from.
Bylaws for Class A or B societies
Pre-existing societies are either Class A or Class B societies under the new Act, depending on their annual revenues and assets. You can find out about the new classes of societies here.
Option 1: Adopt a set of bylaws with best-practices
- Class A or Class B society best-practice bylaws;
- Class A or Class B society best-practice bylaws with comments.
Option 2: Select options from a set of basic bylaws
- Class A or Class B society basic bylaws
- Class A or Class B society basic bylaws with comments - this document tells you which bylaws are required by the new Act, and which ones are optional.
If you would like a word document version of these bylaws, email email@example.com or call 332-7950.
Bylaws for member-funded societies
If you are creating a new society that will be a member-funded society under the new Act, you may choose to adopt these sample bylaws. Please note that incorporating as a member-funded society means that you cannot receive public donations or government funding, and you cannot be a registered charity.
For more information about member-funded societies, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
What to do if you are updating your bylaws
If you choose to update your bylaws as part of this process, you can either:
- Adopt the sample bylaws above; or
- Create custom bylaws. However, bylaws must comply with the new Act and also cannot violate other legislation, such as the human rights legislation, the Canadian Charter of Human Rights and Freedoms, and other statute and case law.
Corporate Affairs does not review your bylaws to ensure compliance with the Act.
Update your bylaws:
- Choose how you want to amend your bylaws.
- Send your members a written copy of your amended bylaws and notice of the special meeting at least 14 days in advance.
- Pass a special resolution at an AGM or at a special general meeting.
- File your new bylaws with the Registrar. You can do this by filing bylaws with your transition application or with a Bylaws Alteration form. You can only file a Bylaws Alteration form if you have incorporated under the new Act or if you have already transitioned.
View the Societies Act and Regulation
Our office is open Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at 307 Black Street, 1st floor in Whitehorse.
Phone the Societies Advisor: 867-332-7950
Phone Corporate Affairs: 867-667-5314, or toll free in Yukon 1-800-661-0408, extension 5314
Government of Yukon
Corporate Affairs (C-6)
Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6