Incorporate a society

  1. Decide on a name
  2. How to incorporate a society
  3. Submit your documents and pay your fees to incorporate

  1. Decide on a name

    Before you start the process of incorporating a society, you must decide on a name.

    Apply for a certificate of name reservation

    1. Create an account on YCOR
    2. Reserve a name by either:
    3. Submit the completed form either:

    Find out how to get set up to file online using YCOR.

    Name your society

    The proposed name has to follow the requirements of the Naming Regulation

    A society's name has to include one of the following elements:

    • Alliance
    • Association
    • Board
    • Bureau
    • Centre
    • Church
    • Club
    • Coalition
    • Council
    • Ensemble
    • Federation
    • Foundation
    • Guild
    • League
    • Mission
    • Network
    • Society
    • Task Force
    • Volunteers
    • any abbreviation of any of the above or the French language equivalent of any of the above. 

    Find out how to choose a society or business name.

    If the name is acceptable, we'll issue a certificate of name reservation. This is valid for 90 days.

    How long does it take?

    The process can take up to 5 business days. Expedited service is available for an additional $100.

    How to pay

    Yukon Online Corporate Registry (YCOR)

    You can pay by credit card when you submit through Yukon Online Corporate Registry (YCOR).

    Paper form

    You can pay by:

    • cheque;
    • credit card;
    • cash; or
    • debit card.


    Provide a cheque in the appropriate amount made out to Government of Yukon.

    Credit card

    We accept Visa, Master Card and American Express payment at the office. If you send your documents by fax, email or mail, provide a phone number where we can reach you. This is so you can give us your credit card information.

    Cash or debit

    Payment in cash or with a debit card can only be made in person at our office: 307 Black Street, 1st floor.

  2. How to incorporate a society

    Where to find the form

    You can complete the incorporation form online using YCOR. You  need to:

    • Create or log in to your YCOR account
    • Click "new entity"
    • Enter your name reservation number
    • Complete the form

    Or, you can download and complete the paper form and submit it to Corporate Affairs.

    Form 1 ‒ Application for incorporation of a Yukon society

    Video walk-through 


    How to fill out the form

    Section 1: Name and name reservation number

    The name of the society must match the name appearing on the certificate of name reservation.

    Section 2: Fiscal year end

    Identify when the society’s fiscal year end will be. It's usually at the end of a month.

    When deciding on a fiscal year end, consider when it's most convenient for the society to hold its annual general meeting.

    Societies must hold an annual general meeting within 4 months after the end of the fiscal year. Then, they have to submit their annual report within 30 days after the annual general meeting.

    Section 3: Incorporators

    A society must have at least 3 incorporators at the time of incorporation.

    Section 4: Registered office addresses

    Every society must have a registered (physical) office in Yukon. This office is where all communications are sent and where all documents may be served.

    “Delivery address” refers to a physical location. Include an address or other description to identify a person’s home or place of business. This does not include a post office box.

    “Mailing address” refers to where you receive mail. Include a complete mailing address, including the postal code. This address can be a person’s home, place of business or post office box.

    Section 5: Purposes of the society

    A society may be incorporated for 1 or more lawful purposes. Examples of purposes of the society may include the:

    • relief of poverty or disease;
    • advancement of education;
    • advancement of religion; or
    • advancement of any cultural, recreational, athletic or other activity or program that's beneficial to a Yukon community.

    The name and purposes of a society form its constitution. Other information, including operational information, may be included in the society’s bylaws. If your society wants to be a member-funded society, you must indicate that in your constitution.

    Section 6: Does your society want to become a member-funded society?

    A member-funded society is funded by its members and exists for the benefit of its members. Member-funded societies are not allowed to receive government funding, public donations or be a registered charity.

    Member-funded societies are allowed to have a minimum of one director and no directors are required to be Yukon residents. There are also different rules about providing financial statements and paying board members. 

    If you want to incorporate as a member-funded society, you must include the following statement in your constitution:

    This society is a member-funded society. It is funded primarily by its members to carry on activities for the benefit of its members. On its liquidation or dissolution, this society may distribute its money and other property to its members.

    If you are considering incorporating as a member-funded society, contact our Societies Advisor to learn more about what this class of society means. Email or call 332-7950. 

    Section 7: Bylaws of the society

    Societies have 2 options

    Option 1: Adopt a sample set of bylaws created by the Department of Community Services. There are 3 samples sets available:

    • Best-practices bylaws, which incorporate bylaws that aren't required but are considered best practice;
    • Basic bylaws, which allow you to select options and customize your bylaws yourself; or
    • Bylaws for member-funded societies. 


    Option 2: Develop customized bylaws. These must follow but the new legislative requirements, as set out in section 12 of the new Societies Act.

    Your society's bylaws cannot violate other legislation, such as:

    • human rights legislation;
    • the Canadian Charter of Human Rights and Freedoms; and
    • other statute and case law.

    When a member-funded society becomes a Class A or B society

    A member-funded society ceases to be a member-funded society when it receives funding or donations, or when it decides it wants to be able to apply for funding or receive donations.

    If the society adopted the model member-funded bylaws and then later wants to become a Class A or B society, it will have to amend its bylaws to conform to the Societies Act. It will also need to amend its constitution to remove the part specific to member-funded societies.

    If you are in this situation, contact the Societies Advisor for support by emailing

    Section 8: Directors

    A society must have 3 or more directors. These could be the same people as the incorporators, or you could appoint additional directors. At least 1 director must normally live in Yukon.

    A member-funded society must have at least 1 director. The director does not have to be a Yukon resident. Provide the full name of the director and do not use initials.

    How to submit the forms


    You can submit your incorporation forms online through the Yukon Corporate Online Registry. They will be processed immediately.

    On paper

    You can submit incorporation forms by mail or in person. If you submit in paper form, the information you provide on the form must be legible. Make sure you complete each section. Paper forms will take up to 10 business days to process.

  3. Submit your documents and pay your fees to incorporate

    After the form is completed, submit it along with the fee.

    How to pay


    File your incorporation through the Yukon Corporate Online Registry (YCOR) and pay the $50 fee with a credit card.

    On paper

    The fee for filing on paper is $70.

    Deliver your documents to us

    If you are filing using a paper form, you can drop off forms at our office or in our secure drop box in the lobby.

    When you put your forms in our secure drop box, you can include:

    • cash;
    • cheque; or
    • a payment information form to contact you for credit card payments.

    Submit your documents by mail, fax or email

    Our offices are open Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

    Phone: 867-667-5314, or toll free in Yukon 1-800-661-0408, extension 5314
    Fax: 867-393-6251

    Government of Yukon
    Corporate Affairs (C-6)
    Box 2703,
    Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6


We're open Monday to Friday from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm at 307 Black Street, 1st floor in Whitehorse.

Phone: 867-667-5111, or toll free in the Yukon 1-800-661-0408, extension 5111

Mail: Government of Yukon
Professional Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (C-5)
Box 2703,
Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6