When are societies required to hold an AGM?
Societies are required to hold an annual general meeting (AGM) within 4 months of their fiscal year-end (Regulation 12(2)).
If your society is not able to hold an AGM within 4 months of your fiscal year-end, you can apply for more time to hold your AGM.
You can only do this if:
- you've completed your transitional fiscal year; or
- you incorporated after April 1, 2021 (Regulation 33); and
- you haven't done this in the last 4 years (75(7)).
If you aren't sure whether you have completed your transitional fiscal year, contact the societies advisor by emailing email@example.com or calling 332-7950.
You cannot extend your scheduled AGM more than 7 months from your society’s fiscal year-end.
How to apply for more time to hold your AGM
To apply to for more time to hold your AGM, you need to fill out a form that gets submitted to the registrar. In that form you'll need to:
- describe efforts you made to hold your AGM in time;
- describe why you are not able to hold the AGM on or before the usual 4-month deadline;
- indicate the date you think you’ll be able to hold your AGM; and
- send written notice of this application and of the date you think you’ll be able to hold your AGM to every member of your society (Regulation 13).
If you find you consistently cannot hold your AGM in time, you may want to consider changing your society’s fiscal year-end.
We recommend filing this form online using the Yukon Corporate Online Registry (YCOR).
The cost to file online is $50 and the form will be filed immediately. You can only file this form online using YCOR if your transition to the new Societies Act is complete.
Apply using the paper form
You can also download and fill out the forms and submit copies in person, by mail or email to Corporate Affairs.
The cost to file paper versions is $70. It costs more to file this way and it will take longer for the filings to go through.
Application for extension of time for holding Annual General Meeting (form 10).
We are open Monday to Friday from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm at 307 Black Street, 1st floor in Whitehorse.
Phone: 867-332-7950, or toll free in the Yukon 1-800-661-0408, extension 5314
Mail: Government of Yukon
Corporate Affairs (C-6)
Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6