We provide hay testing for farmers and livestock owners. Our analysis provides you with valuable information on your feed quality and specific information on nutrition.
A standard test will measure:
- dry matter,
- crude protein,
- minerals (calcium, phosphorus, potassium, magnesium, sodium) and
- acid detergent fiber content.
We can add tests or calculated values based on the type of animal you are feeding.
- Email email@example.com or phone 867-667-5838 to make an appointment to get your hay tested.
- Our staff will visit your farm. They will:
- take samples;
- talk to you about your hay; and
- discuss what you are looking for.
Before you request a test:
- Check if your supplier has test information to share.
- Work with a veterinarian if you have health concerns that may require specific tests.
If you're a recreational horse owner or hobby producer, you can get results for 1 free hay sample per year.
Submit a hay sample
- Fill a large, 8" x 10"freezer bag from a few different sections of your hay supply. The sample should be from hay from only one year, or farm or field.
- Label the sample with:
- where it is from,
- the year,
- any other descriptors that help identify the sample,
- types of animals you are feeding and
- your contact information.
- Submit your sample.
In person: Agriculture Branch office at 320-300 Main Street in Whitehorse. We are open Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m
- Get your results.
We ship the soil sample to a laboratory in Winnipeg for analysis. Test results usually take about 3 weeks. We email the results to you or you can pick up a hard copy of your report at our office.