Apply to hire a foreign worker through the Yukon Community Program

The Yukon Community Program provides flexibility for employers that are hiring foreign workers as critical impact workers or skilled workers. 

  • Employers can either create a single position with up to 3 occupations that together equal 1 full-time position; or
  • up to 3 employers in a single community can create 1 full-time position for 1 person.

A full-time position means 1,560 hours of employment a year.

What must program participants do?

Employers and communities taking part in the program must:

  • commit to creating a welcoming community for the foreign nationals; and
  • provide additional support to help the foreign nationals settle in the community.

This means you must support your workers by helping them with:

  • suitable housing;
  • health and education orientation;
  • English or French language training if necessary; and
  • integrating into the community

Who can apply?

Yukon business owners and employers can apply to the Yukon Community Program to hire a foreign worker. The program is for employers in Carcross, Carmacks, Dawson City, Haines Junction, Watson Lake and Whitehorse.

To be eligible:

  • your business must have been in operation for at least 1 full year;
  • the owner or operator of the business must be a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada; and
  • your business must be in good standing with:
    • the Government of Yukon’s Corporate Affairs Branch;
    • the Government of Yukon’s Employment Standards Branch; and
    • Yukon Workers’ Compensation Health and Safety Board.

Also, your business must not be involved in any current labour disputes.  

Can foreign workers apply?

No. Foreign workers cannot apply. Only employers can apply. The Government of Yukon only accepts applications from employers and never from nominees.

Find guidance on applying for employment in Yukon as a foreign worker. 

Can I give work to a foreign worker I’d like to employ?

You can apply to the program to nominate a foreign worker.

To do this, you must first:

  • advertise the available employment position according to the program guidelines; and
  • prove that no Canadians or permanent residents are available for the position.

Employers cannot charge any fees for the application or recover any costs from the foreign worker.

The Government of Yukon does not match prospective workers with job opportunities.

What if I do not have any jobs to offer to a foreign worker?

If a foreign worker approaches you and you do not have any current job opportunities at your business, you can suggest they check the YuWIN Job Board and Service Canada's Job Bank.

Apply for the program

Complete the application and submit it in person or by mail.

Get help with your application

If you’d like help with preparing your application you can meet with an advisor by booking an appointment.


In person: 303 Alexander Street, 1st floor, Whitehorse, Yukon

Our office is open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.


Phone: 867-667-5131 or toll free in Yukon: 1-800-661-0408, extension 5131


Government of Yukon

Economic Development (F-1)

Box 2703

Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6