- Apply for a subsidy to hire a STEP student
Apply for a subsidy to hire a STEP student
The Student Training and Employment Program (STEP) offers wage subsidies to hire post-secondary students for summer jobs. The subsidy is $7.20 per hour for 450 to 600 hours of employment.
All employers must agree to pay according to the following STEP wage scale. Student wages are set at a minimum of $16.49 per hour. The wage corresponds to the student's level of post-secondary education.
- Completed 1st year: $16.49 per hour
- Completed 2nd year: $17.64 per hour
- Completed 3rd year: $18.91 per hour
- Completed 4th year or higher: $20.19 per hour
These wages are set by the Public Service Commission and based on the Treasury Board of Canada's pay scale for post-secondary students. If you are not a Government of Yukon employer, you may pay higher than these STEP wages.
You can apply for funding if you are a:
- private sector employer;
- non-government organization or agency;
- First Nation;
- municipal government; or
- Government of Yukon department.
You must also:
- be legally entitled to operate a business in Yukon;
- have an office in Yukon with a local contact person; and
- have been operating in Yukon for at least 1 year.
You can apply for funding if your student job:
- relates to a student’s field of study and will benefit the student’s future career;
- guarantees at least 450 hours of work;
- provides at least 37.5 hours of work per week;
- starts no earlier than May 1 and ends no later than September 1; and
- pays according to the STEP pay scale listed in the STEP Guidelines.
Apply for funding to hire a STEP student
Deadline for STEP subsidy applications for the summer of 2019: Friday, November 2, 2018.
- Review the application guidelines.
- Complete your application for Yukon business owners or the Government of Yukon. These forms work best if you use Internet Explorer and Adobe Reader.
- Submit your application before the deadline.
In person: 1000 Lewes Boulevard, Whitehorse. Our office is open Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Government of Yukon
Employment Programs Officer (E-1)
Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6
Hiring process for approved applications
Once your application is approved:
- We publish STEP job descriptions online.
- Students send their applications to us.
- We screen students to make sure they are eligible for the STEP program.
- We send you the resumes and applications of eligible applicants.
- You conduct the interviews and make the job offers.
Important dates for applying for funding and hiring a STEP student
- November 2, 2018: Deadline for you to apply for STEP funding.
- Early December 2018: We will email you to let you know whether or not your application was approved.
- December 17, 2018:We will publish STEP jobs on our website.
- February 1, 2019: Deadline for students to apply.
- February 21, 2019: We will send student applications and resumes to you.
- March 2019: You shortlist and interview applicants.
- March 29, 2109: Deadline for you to make your job offer and notify students who were not successful in their interviews.
- April 12, 2019: Deadline for you to submit a Results Form to us.
- May 1, 2019: Students may begin their STEP jobs.
- September 1, 2019: Students must complete their STEP jobs.
- September 30, 2019: Deadline for you to submit your final claims for wage reimbursement.