The Staffing UP program helps you as an employer to:
- find, hire, and keep workers that are a good fit for your organization;
- train new or existing workers to meet your needs;
- develop workplace supports to accommodate your staff;
- enhance your human resource knowledge and practice;
- get and use labour market information; and
- connect with other employers to find and keep workers.
We can consider your business for this funding program if you:
- are not a federal, provincial or territorial government, or government corporation; and
- provide or offer work to others.
If you have no staff, you may be eligible for support under the Working Up program instead.
First Nations governments
First Nations governments can apply to this program. We also work with them on a government-to-government basis to fund First Nations-led labour market initiatives.
How funding decisions are made
We base approval for funding on matching our priorities to your specific needs. Your application needs to show you need help to find, hire and keep workers.
Our priorities are employers:
- with fewer than 20 employees;
- that need help to develop human resource capacity and practice; and
- that are seeking support to hire a member from an under-represented group;
- Yukon First Nations citizens;
- youth under the age of 30;
- persons with disabilities;
- workers over the age of 50;
- women in trades and technology; and
- newcomers to Canada.
A group is underrepresented if their ratio in the workforce is less than their ratio in the general population.
What can be funded through this program?
Find, hire and keep workers
We provide 3 wage subsidy options for the following situations:
Filling an existing position with a worker who lacks experience:
Maximum duration of 1 year at 60% of base wage.
Perform a workplace-based assessment of a worker’s skills and interests:
Maximum duration of 8 weeks. All employer costs are eligible.
Provide on-the-job training so the worker gains work experience:
Up to 26 weeks duration. All employer costs are eligible.
Train current and future workers
Providing on-going training and development to your workers is a key strategy for keeping workers. You’re best placed to know what training will benefit your organization and who is the best candidate to meet your needs. While we cannot fund normal on-boarding training, we can fund training in addition to your normal on-boarding offerings.
Apply for a training subsidy for 3rd-party training that will:
- improve the performance of an existing employee in their current job;
- ready an existing employee for promotion or expansion of your business; or
- provide a new or future worker with skills you need for your business.
We can fund your training at the following levels:
- 60% for an employee not paid while in training;
- 70% for an employee paid while in training;
- 80% for training a potential employee who is unemployed; or
- 90% for training:
- a potential employee who is unemployed; and
- a member of an under-represented group.
How many funding agreements can you get?
We want as many employers to access Staffing UP funding as possible. Employers are limited to:
- the lesser of 3 funding agreements; or
- $10,000 in support per fiscal year.
See the guidance document or contact us for more information.
What costs may be funded?
- Participant – individuals or employers
- wages (all or part)
- mandatory employment-related costs (example: EI, CPP, WCB)
- Employer portions of benefits and training costs (including travel)
Operating and overhead
- Payments to instructors, consultants or other activity providers
- Materials and supplies
- Supports related to a disability
- Training costs (including travel) if billed to your business
Reimbursement for the use of existing resources for this project.
Read our Staffing UP program guidance document.
How to apply
- Contact us. We'll help you develop your application.
- After we've come up with a plan together, complete your application.
- Submit your application.
In person: Education Building (entrance to parking on Hospital Road), 1000 Lewes Boulevard in Whitehorse. We’re open Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Toll free: 1-800-661-0408 ext. 5906