Apply for a midwifery full licence

  1. Determine if you're eligible
  2. Complete the application form
  3. Provide all required supporting documents
  4. Pay your fees
  5. Submit your complete application package

  1. Determine if you're eligible

    All practising midwives in Yukon must register and hold a Yukon licence.

    You have to apply for a full licence if you're planning to:

    • use the title of midwife; and
    • work to the full extent allowed by Yukon regulations.


    We accept and process new midwife licence applications on an ongoing basis. Once you're issued a licence, you must renew it every year. All midwife licences expire annually on March 31, regardless of when they're issued.



    You can register and apply for a full licence if you meet the following requirements:

    • you hold a current full or general midwifery licence in another Canadian jurisdiction;
    • you’ve held a full or general midwifery licence in another Canadian jurisdiction for at least 1 year; and
    • you hold professional liability insurance covering practise in Yukon in the minimum amount of $10 million per claim and $20 million annually in the aggregate. You can meet this requirement:
      • through an offer of employment as a midwife with the Yukon government’s Department of Health and Social Services (the department indemnifies midwife employees), or
      • by purchasing private insurance.


    If you’ve had any complaints, disciplinary or criminal action against you:

    • we'll assess your eligibility for licensure on a case-by-case basis; and
    • your application may not be approved.

  2. Complete the application form

    Complete all sections of the application form. Do not leave a section blank. You may enter “not applicable” when it's relevant. We may return incomplete applications.


    • Remember to complete all required declarations.
    • Respond accurately to all questions.
    • If any declaration or question is incomplete, we'll ask you to fill out a new application.
    • Providing false information in an application or making a false declaration is a serious offence.
    • If you provide false information, we may deny or cancel your licence.

  3. Provide all required supporting documents

    Current photo ID

    • Provide 1 copy of a piece of photo ID.
    • The ID must be issued by a territorial, provincial or federal government body.
    • The ID must show your current legal name.
    • We do not accept a healthcare card as a form of ID.

    Criminal record check

    • We require a Canadian criminal record check from all applicants. You're responsible for paying any relevant fees.
    • Contact your local RCMP or police detachment to to request a check.
    • The check must be completed no more than 90 days before you submit your application.
    • Ask the RCMP or police to:
      • send the results to your mailing address; or
      • make the results available to you for pickup.
    • Submit the original copy of the results with your complete application package. We can use a scanned copy sent to us by email to process your application, but we need the original before we can issue a licence.

    If you lived or practiced midwifery outside of Canada

    If you lived or practised midwifery outside of Canada in the 12 months before the date of your application, provide a criminal record check from that jurisdiction. The check must be completed no more than 90 days before the date of your application.

    Certificate of standing(s)

    A certificate of standing is an official document from the regulator of your profession in another jurisdiction where you are, or have been, registered. It includes:

    • your registration and licensing history;
    • any limits and restrictions on your licence; and
    • any complaints or disciplinary action against you.

    What we need for your application

    • You must provide a certificate of standing from:
      • all jurisdictions where you're currently licensed; and
      • every jurisdiction you have ever practiced midwifery in.
    • Each certificate must be dated no more than 90 days before your application.
    • 1 or more certificates must show current authorization for full, unrestricted practise in another Canadian jurisdiction.
    • 1 or more certificates must show that you have held a full, unrestricted practise licence in another Canadian jurisdiction for at least 1 year.

    How to submit a certificate of standing

    The regulator issuing the certificate must mail or e-mail the certificate of standing to us. We accept copies or original paper copies.

    Proof of required certifications

    As a practising midwife in Yukon, you have to maintain and provide proof of current certification in:

    • adult and pediatric cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR);
    • neonatal resuscitation, including intubation (NNR);
    • fetal health surveillance (FHS); and
    • emergency obstetric skills (ES).


    We accept the courses approved by the BC regulator.

    We prefer an official certificate of completion of an approved course, but other proof may be acceptable. Submit proof of certification as part of your application package.

    Proof of safe-prescribing course for opioids and benzodiazepines

    To practice midwifery in Yukon, you need to prove that you completed acceptable coursework in safe prescribing of drugs listed in Schedule 1A of the BC Drug Schedules Regulation:

    • opioids; and
    • benzodiazepines.

    If you took relevant course work during your midwifery education

    You must ask your educational institution to send a transcript to us. It must show proof of completion of coursework

    If you took the University of British Columbia's online course

    Provide proof of completion of the Opioids and Benzodiazepines: Safe Prescribing for Midwives course.

    Proof of advanced practise certification (if applicable)

    If you're a practising midwife in Yukon, the registrar may allow you to provide certain advanced practise services. These are currently:

    • hormonal contraceptive therapy;
    • using acupuncture during labour or the post-partum period;
    • serving as first surgical assist for a caesarean section;
    • intrauterine contraception;
    • managing sexually transmitted infections;
    • inducing or augmenting labour in hospital; and
    • monitoring epidural anesthesia in hospital.


    Yukon has adopted the British Columbia regulator’s frameworks for certification of these services. You'll need to provide proof of completion of the certification required by the British Columbia College of Nurses and Midwives.

    For more information, see the relevant frameworks for certification in the Standards of Practice for Yukon Midwives.

    How to apply for advanced practice authorizations

    1. Fill out the advanced practice authorization section of the form.
    2. Submit your proof of having completed the required certification(s).

  4. Pay your fees


    Full licence fees

    • Application fee: $50
    • Full licence fee: $200
    • Total: $250

    How to pay

    You can pay by:

    • cheque;
    • credit card;
    • cash; or
    • debit.


    • Complete the payment information form.
    • Provide a cheque in the appropriate amount made out to the Government of Yukon.
    • After we issue your licence, we'll cash your cheque.

    Credit card

    • Complete the payment information form.
    • If you submit your application in person, by courier or mail, you may include your credit card info on your payment information form.
    • If you submit your application by email or fax, do not include your credit card information on your form. We'll contact you for your credit card info.
    • After we issue your licence, we'll take payment.

    Cash or debit

    • You can only pay by cash or debit if you pay in person at our office in Whitehorse.
    • Complete the payment information form.
    • We'll hold your licence at our office after we issue it.
    • We'll take payment by cash or debit when you pick it up.

  5. Submit your complete application package

    Prepare your application package

    Your complete application package must include:

    • your completed application form;
    • all supporting documents; and
    • your payment form.


    We typically process applications within 10 business days. We'll confirm you've met all legal requirements before issuing a licence. We may return your application if you have not provided all the required documentation.


    How to submit

    • In person or by courier at 307 Black Street, Whitehorse Y1A 2N1. We're open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
    • Email:
    • Fax: 867-667-3609
    • Mail:
      Government of Yukon
      Professional Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (C-5)
      Box 2703
      Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6