Apply for a practical nurse (LPN) reinstatement

  1. Determine if you're eligible
  2. Complete the application form
  3. Provide proof of continuing competency requirements
  4. Provide all other supporting documents required
  5. Pay your fees
  6. Submit your complete application package

  1. Determine if you're eligible

    Reinstatement criteria

    You may apply for reinstatement for a full, interim or inactive licence.

    Reinstatement is a request to activate your LPN licence when:

    • your licence has expired;
    • your licence has been suspended; or
    • you're moving from an inactive to a full licence.

    ​We accept and process reinstatement applications on an ongoing basis.

    If you’ve had any complaints, disciplinary or criminal action against you, please note:

    • we will assess your eligibility for reinstatement on a case-by-case basis; and
    • you may not be approved for registration or licensing.


    Full licence

    You can apply for a reinstatement of a full licence if you meet 1 of the following sets of requirements.


    • have graduated from an approved LPN nursing program within 4 years; and passed the Canadian Practical Nurse Registration Examination (CPNRE) in Yukon.

    Or you:

    • have graduated from an approved LPN nursing program more than 4 years ago, and passed the CPNRE within 1 year of your reinstatement application.

    Or you:

    • do not hold a current licence but meet all the continuing competency requirements.

    Or you:

    • hold a current, full LPN licence in another Canadian jurisdiction and are in good standing in that jurisdiction.

    Interim licence

    You can apply for reinstatement for an interim licence if you have:

    • graduated from an approved LPN nursing program; and
    • registered to write the CPNRE examination; and
    • a supervisor who holds a full licence in Yukon; and
    • you have never renewed your licence or you have renewed it only once.

    Inactive licence

    You can apply for reinstatement for an inactive licence if hold an inactive licence that hasn’t expired.

  2. Complete the application form

    Complete all sections of the reinstatement application form. Do not leave a section blank. If a section is not relevant, mark the section as “not applicable.” We may return incomplete applications.

  3. Provide proof of continuing competency requirements

    You may skip this step if:

    • you're reinstating for an interim or inactive licence; or
    • you have completed the CPNRE in the past year; or
    • you hold a current full licence in another Canadian jurisdiction.

    All other reinstatement applicants for a full LPN licence must complete this step.

    Read the continuing competency guide for full instructions, details and examples

    Continuing competency requirements

    You must have completed the following requirements:

    • at least 1,000 professional practice hours in the 4-year period immediately before your application;
    • between 60 and 300 of these 1,000 hours must have involved continuing professional education; and
    • no more than 300 of these 1,000 hours have involved professional volunteer service.

    Forms and documentation required

    Provide the following completed forms with your application. We may return applications that are missing any of the required documentation.

    Verification of employment form for health professionals

    Annual continuing education form

    Continuing education supporting documents

    • Provide a supporting document for every continuing education activity you're claiming that is more than 4 hours.
    • Documentation must include:
      • your name;
      • proof of the number of hours you completed; and
      • date you completed the hours.

    If you do not have a document with this information, then you may complete the verification of completed continuing education form. Complete this form with either the course provider/instructor or your supervisor.

    Verification of volunteer hours form

    • Download the verification of volunteer hours form.
    • This form helps us validate your volunteer hours.
    • Work with the volunteer organization to complete and submit this form.
    • We require 1 form for each organization.

  4. Provide all other supporting documents required

    You must also provide the following with your application.

    Current photo ID

    • Provide 1 copy of a piece of photo ID.
    • The ID must be issued by a territorial, provincial or federal government body.
    • The ID must show your current legal name.
    • We do not accept a healthcare card as a form of ID.

    Copy of a work or student visa

    • We only require this if you're an international applicant.
    • Provide 1 copy of your work or student visa.
    • This documentation is in addition to the photo ID required above.
    • The documentation proves you're allowed to work in Canada.

    Criminal record checks

    • You must have new criminal record and vulnerable sector checks done every 5 years.
    • Visit your local RCMP or police detachment to request a check.
    • The RCMP or police must complete the checks no more than 90 days before you submit your application.
    • Ask the RCMP to:
      • send the results to your mailing address; or
      • make the results available for you to pick up.
    • Make sure to then submit the results with your complete application package.

    Verification of registration

    • Download the verification of registration form.
    • We require this form from all LPN applicants registered in another Canadian jurisdiction.
    • Complete the first section of the form.
    • Send the form to the regulatory body of that jurisdiction.
    • The regulatory body will return the fully completed form directly to us.
    • We do not accept forms submitted by applicants.

    Copies of any additional LPN diplomas

    Provide a copy of every diploma for additional education you received since you last held a licence in Yukon

  5. Pay your fees


    Full and interm licence

    • $240 plus any arrears ($240 for every year your licence was expired).

    Inactive licence

    • $40 plus any arrears ($40 for every year your licence was expired).

    How to pay

    You can pay by:

    • cheque;
    • credit card;
    • cash; or
    • debit.


    • Complete the payment information form.
    • Provide a cheque in the appropriate amount made out to the Government of Yukon.
    • After we issue your licence, we'll cash your cheque.

    Credit card

    • Complete the payment information form.
    • If you submit your application in person, by courier or mail, you may include your credit card info on your payment information form.
    • If you submit your application by email or fax, do not include your credit card information on your form. We'll contact you for your credit card info.
    • After we issue your licence, we'll take payment.

    Cash or debit

    • You can only pay by cash or debit if you can pay in person at our office in Whitehorse.
    • Complete the payment information form.
    • We'll hold your licence at our office after we issue it.
    • We'll take payment by cash or debit when you pick it up.

  6. Submit your complete application package

    Prepare your application package

    Your complete application package must include:

    • your completed application form;
    • all supporting documents; and
    • your payment form.

    We typically process applications within 10 business days. We'll confirm you've met all legal requirements before issuing a licence. We may return your application if you’ve not provided all the required documentation.

    How to submit

    • In person or by courier: 307 Black Street, in Whitehorse. We're open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. 
    • Email:
    • Fax: 867-667-3609
    • Mail:
      Government of Yukon
      Professional Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (C-5)
      Box 2703
      Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6


For questions about applying for reinstatement as a licensed practical nurse, email, or phone 867-667-5111, toll free in Yukon 1-800-661-0408, extension 5111.