- Determine if you are eligible
- Complete the application form
- Provide proof of continuing competency requirements
- Provide all other supporting documents required
- Pay your annual fee
- Submit your application, supporting documents and fee
Determine if you are eligible
All practical nurses in Yukon must hold a licence.
Reinstatement is a request to activate a licensed practical nurse (LPN) licence when:
- your licence has expired;
- your licence has been suspended; or
- you are going from an inactive to a full licence.
You may apply for reinstatement for a full, interim or inactive licence.
We accept and process reinstatement applications on an ongoing basis.
You can apply for a reinstatement of a full LPN licence if you meet 1 of the following sets of requirements.
- You have graduated from an approved LPN nursing program within 4 years, passed the Canadian Practical Nurse Registration Examination (CPNRE) in Yukon, and meet the requirements of steps 2, 4, 5 and 6.
- You have graduated from an approved LPN nursing program more than 4 years ago, passed the CPNRE within 1 year of your application, and meet the requirements of steps 2, 4, 5 and 6.
- You do not hold a current licence but meet all the continuing competency requirements, and meet the requirements of steps 2, 4, 5 and 6.
- You hold a current, full LPN licence in another Canadian jurisdiction, are in good standing in that jurisdiction, and meet the requirements of steps 2, 4, 5 and 6.
You can apply for reinstatement for an interim licence if you meet all of the following requirements.
- You have graduated from an approved LPN nursing program.
- You have registered to write the CPNRE examination.
- You have a supervisor who holds a full licence in Yukon.
- You have never renewed your licence or you have renewed it only once.
- You meet the requirements of steps 2, 4, 5 and 6.
You can apply for reinstatement for an inactive licence if you meet all of the following requirements.
- You hold an inactive licence that hasn’t expired.
- You meet the requirements of steps 2, 4, 5 and 6
Complete the application form
Provide proof of continuing competency requirements
You may skip this step if:
- you are reinstating for an interim or inactive licence; or
- you have completed the CPNRE in the past year; or
- you hold a current full licence in another Canadian jurisdiction.
All other reinstatement applicants for a full LPN licence must complete this step.
Continuing competency requirements
- Completed at least 1,000 professional practice hours in the 4-year period immediately before your application.
- Between 60 and 300 of these 1,000 hours must have involved continuing professional education.
- No more than 300 of these 1,000 hours have involved professional volunteer service.
Provide the following completed forms with your application. We will return applications that are missing any of the required documentation.
1. Verification of employment
This form helps us validate your 1,000+ professional practice hours. Complete this form with your employer. We require 1 form for each of your previous employers.
2. Annual Continuing Education
This form helps us validate your continuing education hours. Complete and submit this form for each of the past 4 years. For example, if you are applying in 2019, you would submit 4 forms: 1 each for 2018, 2017, 2016 and 2015.
3. Continuing education supporting documents
Provide a supporting document for every continuing education activity listed on your annual continuing education form that is more than 4 hours. This documentation must include:
- your name;
- proof of the number of hours you completed; and
- the date you completed the hours.
If you do not have a document with this information, then you may complete the verification of completed continuing education form with either the course provider/instructor or your supervisor.
4. Verification of volunteer hours
This form helps us validate your volunteer hours. Complete and submit this form with your volunteer organization. We require 1 form for each organization.
The continuing competency guide provides additional guidance and examples of what forms we accept.
Provide all other supporting documents required
You must also provide the following with your application.
1. Copies of 2 pieces of government-issued ID showing your current legal name:
- 1 of the pieces of ID must demonstrate your ability to legally work in Canada
- At least 1 of the 2 pieces must be photo ID.
2. International applicants must also provide a work or student visa.
These do not count as one of your two pieces of ID. However, you must provide this additional documentation if this proves you are allowed to work in Canada.
Acceptable forms of photo ID.
- Canadian or US driver’s licence
- Certificate of Canadian Citizenship with photo
- Permanent Resident Card with photo
- Certificate of Indian Status issued with photo
- Provincially issued identification card with photo
Acceptable forms of non-photo ID.
- Birth certificate
- Certificate of Canadian Citizenship with no photo
- Certification of Naturalization
3. Verification of registration
Submit this form if you are registered to practice in another jurisdiction.
- Complete the first section of the form.
- Send the form to the appropriate regulatory body.
- The regulatory body will return the fully completed form directly to us.
- We do not accept forms submitted by applicants.
4. A copy of any diplomas for additional education you received since you last held a licence in Yukon
5. Criminal record check, including vulnerable sector check
- You must have a new criminal record check done every 5 years.
- Visit your local RCMP detachment to request the record check.
- If you live in Yukon, the RCMP will send your results directly to us.
- If you receive the results, forward them to us with your application.
Pay your annual fee
- Full and interim licence: $240 plus any arrears ($240 for every year your licence was expired).
- Inactive licence: $40 plus any arrears ($40 for every year your licence was expired).
Complete the payment information form and include this and your fee with your application. You can pay your licence fee by cheque or credit card.
Submit your application, supporting documents and fee
Submit your entire application package. This must include:
- your completed application form;
- all supporting documents; and
- your payment form and licence fee.
We typically process applications within 10 business days. We will return applications to you if you have not provided all the required documentation.
Submit your application package
- In person or by courier: 307 Black Street, in Whitehorse. We are open Monday to Friday from 8:30 to 4:30 p.m. Our office postal code is Y1A 2N1.
- Email: email@example.com
- Fax: 867-667-3609
Government of Yukon
Professional Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (C-5)
Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6
For questions about applying for reinstatement as a licensed practical nurse email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone: 867-667-5111 or toll free in Yukon: 1-800-661-0408, ext 5111.