- Determine if you are eligible
- Complete the renewal form
- Provide proof of continuing competency requirements
- Provide all other supporting documents required
- Pay your annual fee
- Submit your application, supporting documents and fee
Determine if you are eligible
All practical nurses in Yukon must hold a licence and renew it every year. Licences expire annually on January 31.
A full licence allows you to use the title of licensed practical nurse (LPN) and work to the full extent of your training and Yukon regulations.
Submit your renewal application before November 30. This will ensure we can process your licence before it expires.
Applicants who have not renewed by March 31, must apply for reinstatement and pay all necessary fees.
It is illegal to work in the new licence year before we have processed your application.
You are eligible to renew a full LPN licence if you meet the following requirements:
- you hold a current full LPN licence for Yukon;
- you have met all continuing competency requirements; and
- you meet the requirements in the following steps.
Complete the renewal form
Complete all sections of the renewal application form. Do not leave a section blank. If a section is not relevant, mark the section as “not applicable.”
At the top of the application form, choose full or a temporary full licence. Choose temporary full if you will practice in Yukon for less than a 3-month period in a licence year.
Provide proof of continuing competency requirements
Continuing competency requirements
To renew a full LPN licence, you must meet the following continuing competency requirements.
- Completion of at least 1,000 professional practice hours in the 4-year period immediately before your application.
- Between 60 and 300 of these 1,000 hours must have involved continuing professional education.
- No more than 300 of these 1,000 hours have involved professional volunteer service. Provide the following completed forms with your application. We will return applications that are missing any of the required documentation.
1. Verification of employment
This form helps us validate your 1,000 plus professional practice hours. Complete this form with your employer. We require 1 form for each of your previous employers.
2. Annual continuing education
This form helps us validate your continuing education hours. Complete and submit the form for each of the past 4 years. For example, if you are applying in 2019, you would submit 4 forms: 1each for 2018, 2017, 2016 and 2015.
3. Continuing education supporting documents
Provide a supporting document for every continuing education activity listed on your annual continuing education form that is more than 4 hours. This documentation must include:
- your name;
- proof of the number of hours you completed; and
- the date you completed the hours.
If you do not have a document with this information, then you may complete the verification of completed continuing education form with either the course provider/instructor or your supervisor.
4. Verification of volunteer hours
This helps us validate your volunteer hours. Complete and submit this form with your volunteer organization. We require 1 form for each organization.
5. Continuing competency exemption form
Submit this form if you are a new graduate and would like an exemption to the continuing competency requirements. This form helps us assess the reason why an LPN licensed for less than 4 years did not meet the continuing competency requirements. We review exemption forms on a case-by-case basis and do not accept all exemption requests.
The continuing competency guide provides additional guidance and examples of what forms we accept.
Provide all other supporting documents required
You must also provide the following with your application.
1. Verification of registration
Submit this form if you are registered to practice in another jurisdiction.
- You must complete this form every year.
- Complete the first section of the form.
- Send the form to the appropriate regulatory body.
- The regulatory body will return the fully completed form directly to us.
- We do not accept forms submitted by applicants.
2. Criminal record check, including vulnerable sector check
- You must have a new criminal record check done every 5 years.
- Visit your local RCMP detachment to request the record check.
- If you live in Yukon, the RCMP will send your results directly to us.
- If you receive the results, please forward them to us with your application.
Pay your annual fee
- Full licence renewal: $200. We charge applicants a $40 late fee for applications we process between February 1 and March 31.
- Temporary full licence: $50.
After March 31, applicants must apply for reinstatement and pay all applicable fees.
You are not eligible to work in the new licence year until we have processed your renewal or reinstatement application.
Complete the payment information form and include this and your fee with your application. You can pay your licence fee by cheque or credit card.
Submit your application, supporting documents and fee
Submit your entire application renewal package before November 30. This will ensure we can process your licence before it expires. It typically takes 30 business days to process a renewal application.
The package must include:
- your completed form;
- all supporting documents; and
- your payment form and licence fee.
We will confirm you have met all legal requirements before issuing a renewed licence.
Submit your application package
- In person or by courier: 307 Black Street in Whitehorse. We are open Monday to Friday from 8:30 to 4:30 p.m. Our office postal code is Y1A 2N1.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fax: 867-667-3609
Government of Yukon
Professional Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (C-5)
Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6
For questions about renewing your practical nurse licence email email@example.com or phone 867-667-5111 or toll free in Yukon: 1-800-661-0408, ext. 5111.