Get funding to build or improve a fence to meet the sheep and goat control order

The sheep and goat control order comes into effect on January 1, 2020. As of this date, you have to contain your sheep and goats with approved fencing.

Funding is available to help build or improve your fence to meet the order’s requirements.


You're eligible for funding if you have domestic sheep or goats on your property.

Available funding

You may be eligible to receive up to 100% of material costs for:

  • improvements to an existing primary containment fence; and
  • construction of a new secondary separation fence.

The amount of funding depends on:

  • the condition of your fencing; and
  • how you're using the property.

Deadline for funding

The deadline to apply is 4:30 p.m. on December 31, 2019. We will not consider applications submitted after this date.

Apply for funding

  1. Contact the Agriculture Branch to discuss your need for funding. Phone 867-667-5838 or email
  2. We'll arrange a site visit with you. We'll assess your property and any existing fences to see what’s needed to meet the requirements of the control order.
  3. If you're eligible and in need of fencing, we'll give you the application form.
  4. Fill out the application form. Include:
    • a site diagram with lot lines, locations of gates, and total linear feet or metres of fence line; and
    • quotes for fencing material.
  5. Submit your application to the Agriculture Branch.
    In person: 320-300 Main Street in Whitehorse. Our office is open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
    Government of Yukon
    Agriculture Branch (K-320A)
    Box 2703
    Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6
  6. We review your application and make a decision on funding. If you're approved we'll provide a Transfer Payment Agreement for you to sign. Do not start fencing until your application is approved and you’ve signed the agreement.
  7. You purchase the materials and construct your fence.
  8. Once your fence is complete, contact the Agriculture Branch and schedule an inspection.
  9. Submit your receipts for materials to the Agriculture Branch. Then, we'll reimburse you.