Apply for a bursary to study in French

If you plan to study in French during your post-secondary studies, you can apply for a bursary to help pay your school expenses.


You must be:

  • a Yukon high school graduate;
  • a Yukon resident:
    • you must be legally entitled to remain in Canada; and
    • a resident of Yukon (someone who makes their home and is ordinarily present in Yukon)
  • accepted into a post-secondary institution located in Canada; and
  • studying in French to get a better understanding of the French language:
    • either one course or more; or
    • a program.


$350 to $1,200 annually per applicant. This is dependent on the number of applications received.


September 30 for the following academic year.

How to apply

  1. Request or pick up the application form from the French Programs office.
  2. Complete the application form.
  3. Submit the completed form and all required documents listed on the form.
    In person: Education Building (entrance to parking on Hospital Road), 1000 Lewes Boulevard in Whitehorse. We’re open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
    Government of Yukon
    Student Financial Assistance (E-1)
    Box 2703,
    Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6

When will you find out about your application?

Applications are reviewed in November. Successful applicants will be notified by December. If you’re a successful applicant, we'll contact you by phone or email to let you know how much you will receive.

We’ll then mail a cheque to your mailing address.

Report your bursary on your tax return

You must report the Official Languages Fellowship program bursary you received on your tax return. We’ll send a T4A to the permanent address you provide in your application.

If you have not received a T4A for the previous year by February 28, phone 867-667-3555.

Wondering how your T4A income will affect your tax return?
Contact the Canada Revenue Agency.


If you have questions, email or phone 867-667-8237.