Floods are a possible hazard in Yukon and usually occur in the spring during rapid snow melt or from ice jams on rivers.
Prevent flood damage
Visit Flood Ready for information and video tutorials.
Find out how you can prepare for a flood on your property.
Find out what to do about fuel tanks and hazardous substances in flood areas.
Find sandbag locations within areas affected by rising water levels.
Recover from a flood
- Health Alert - Flooded sewage disposal systems
- Tips for returning to your home after a flood.
- Disinfect your drinking water well and water holding tank. Get your drinking water tested.
- Clean your house and control mould.
- If mice moved in to escape flood water, learn about mouse control and hantavirus.
- Visit GetPrepared.ca for more information on re-entering your home and cleanup.
Keep livestock safe
Find flood risk levels
The Water Resources Branch monitors the risk of flood Yukon-wide. Flood risk reports are posted on the water level conditions page. The report will note flood risk levels of moderate or higher.
Get flood alerts
We post flood alerts on Facebook and Twitter, our emergency updates page and through posters, community meetings and other methods. The tools we use to communicate an emergency depend on the location and severity of the flood.