Floods are a possible hazard in Yukon and usually occur in the spring during rapid snow melt or from ice jams on rivers.
Prevent flood damage
- Visit Flood Ready for information and video tutorials.
Recover from a flood
- Visit GetPrepared.ca for information on re-entering your home and cleanup.
- Disinfect your drinking water well and water holding tank. Get your drinking water tested.
- Clean your house and control mold.
- If mice moved in to escape flood water, learn about mouse control and hantavirus.
Keep livestock safe
Find flood risk levels
The Department of Environment monitors the risk of flood. Flood risk reports are posted on the water level conditions page. The report will note flood risk levels of moderate or higher.
Get flood alerts
We post flood alerts on Facebook and Twitter, our emergency updates page and through posters, community meetings and other methods. The tools we use to communicate an emergency depend on the location and severity of the flood.