What causes fetal alcohol spectrum disorder?
The only known cause of fetal alcohol spectrum disorder (FASD) is drinking alcohol during pregnancy.
We have a range of resources and initiatives to help prevent fetal alcohol spectrum disorder in Yukon, such as the following.
Guidance for pregnant people
We provide workshops for health professionals working with:
- people who are pregnant and use alcohol; and
- child-bearing people and their families.
- Proposed FASD Prevention Services Delivery Model
- Yukon FASD Diagnosis and Case Management in Adult Corrections Population
- Yukon FASD Prevention Gap Analysis: Evidence-based Synthesis on the Effectiveness of Prevention Approaches for Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders – a Systematic Review Update
- Yukon FASD Prevention Gap Analysis: Summary of Gaps
- Yukon FASD Prevention Gap Analysis: Summary of the Literature on FASD Prevention – A Health Determinants Perspective
- Yukon FASD Prevention Gap Analysis: Yukon Service Inventory and Perspectives
For more information, contact the Mental Wellness and Substance Use Services – Prevention staff, phone 867-456-3838, toll free in Yukon 1-866-456-3838.