Updates on French First Language Secondary School construction project
The Government of Yukon is building a new French First Language Secondary School on the Riverdale campus.
Construction summer information
The new school and its community spaces will provide students and the community facilities that are:
- modern; and
Start of construction
Work began in spring 2019.
Completion of construction
We expect completion for winter 2020-21.
Local contractor Ketza Construction is leading the construction.
Construction activities taking place during summer 2019
- Installation of the underground utilities for the school.
- Work on the building’s foundation.
- Installing structural steel.
- Work on the new Lewes Boulevard bus drop-off.
- We expect completion for the start of the 2019-20 school year.
- Traffic flow restrictions on Lewes Boulevard between June 15 and August 19. Signage will be in place, and both southbound and northbound traffic lanes will be open at all times.
Safety measures during construction
The highest priority is to ensure the safety and wellbeing of:
- parents; and
- visitors to the campus.
There will be some dust, noise and increased traffic.
We will take every precaution to minimize the disruption to:
- school activities; and
- the local population.
These measures include:
- separating the construction area and pathways with fencing and signage;
- reducing construction traffic in the main school access points;
- developing a safety communications plan in the event of an incident; and
- the contractor must provide a safety plan to Occupational Health and Safety.
Reducing the impacts of construction traffic on schools and the local community
Contractors will enter and exit the site from Nisutlin Drive and Selkirk Street. They won't use the access on Lewes Boulevard. Except for the contractor working on the Lewes Boulevard bus drop-off.
We'll work with contractors to limit construction traffic during peak traffic hours.
Ongoing project updates
We'll post updates to the French First Language Secondary School construction project on this webpage.
We’ll provide another update at the start of the 2019-20 school year.
If you have questions about this project or any safety concerns:
- email Chris Hanlin, Director of Operations, Department of Education email@example.com; or
- contact your school principal.
We will continue to work with the contractor and nearby schools to meet the needs of all users of the Riverdale campus.