Funding to hire students for critical and essential services
Yukon employers can apply for support in hiring Yukon graduating and postsecondary students for new positions in:
$750,000 is available through the Staffing Up labour market program funding to support hiring students in these positions.
This funding is in addition to the supports available through the Yukon Essential Worker Income Support Program.
Who can apply?
Employers may be eligible to receive this wage subsidy even if they've already applied for existing Government of Yukon summer employment programs for students.
Yukon employers can apply if they're:
- private-sector employers;
- not-for-profit organizations;
- municipalities; and
- First Nations governments and organizations.
Depending on initial demand, there may be limits on the number of positions approved for each employer.
Who cannot apply
Government of Yukon, federal government and crown corporation employers are not eligible for this funding.
About the supports for hiring students
Yukon employers may be eligible for:
- Up to $20 per hour for each new position, together with the Yukon Essential Workers Income Support Program;
- Maximum of 40 hours per week for each position; and
- Maximum of 16 weeks of employment for each position.
Yukon students can include:
- Students who have recently graduated high school and are available to work;
- Postsecondary, college or technical program students seeking summer employment;
- Students who have recently left postsecondary studies and are available to work; and
- International students who are eligible to work in Canada.
Apply for supports to hire students
Yukon employers can apply directly to the Postsecondary and Labour Market Unit for this program and the Yukon Essential Workers Income Support Program if they’re:
- running critical and essential services; and
- seeking to hire graduating and postsecondary students for summer employment.
Contact the Post-secondary and Labour Market Unit:
Phone: 867-667-5906 or toll free 1-800-661-0408 extension 5906.
Other supports to hire and train Yukoners
The Government of Yukon’s Staffing Up labour market funding program is also available to help Yukon employers:
- train; and
- develop employees.
To learn more about Staffing Up
- Visit Get funding to grow your business with skilled workers.
- Contact the Post-secondary and Labour Market Unit:
Phone: 867-667-5906 or toll free 1-800-661-0408 extension 5906