Support for aviation industry
The aviation industry has been among the hardest-hit by the COVID-19 pandemic. Since the beginning of the pandemic, air passenger traffic has declined dramatically. Airlines have faced staff layoffs and the grounding of planes. While travel for non-essential purposes has largely ceased, this industry is still a vital link to the rest of the country for Yukoners.
Waiving landing, parking and loading fees
From April 1 until December 31, 2020, the government is waiving fees at the Whitehorse airport for:
- airport landing;
- aircraft parking; and
- aircraft loading.
This change will save approximately $210,000 for businesses and the tourism industry. It will also provide incentives for carriers of all sizes to visit and stay in Yukon. These changes will:
- help address the economic struggles brought on by COVID-19; and
- promote economic recovery for Yukon’s aviation businesses in the coming months.
Waiving commercial aviation fees
The government is waiving all commercial aviation fees from April 1 until December 31, 2020.
- land lease and licence fees;
- building lease and licence fees;
- air terminal building concession fees;
- aircraft fuel lease and licence fees;
- aircraft fuel concession fees;
- parking stall fees; and
- service recoveries such as charges for electricity.
Businesses that are eligible for the fee waiver include:
- air carriers;
- commercial aircraft operators (fixed and rotary wing);
- aircraft maintenance operators; and
- aviation-related concessionaires such as:
- food services;
- vehicle rentals;
- the gift shop,
- aircraft fuelling services.
Other non-commercial agencies are not eligible.
We expect further changes to be announced in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Support to Canada's Air Transportation Sector
- COVID-19 measures, updates and guidance issued by Transport Canada
- Canada's COVID-19 Economic Response Plan, support for sectors
- COVID-19 exemptions to the Canadian Aviation Regulations
If you have questions about these programs or aviation-related support, email email@example.com.