Information current

September 26, 2020

We're in Phase 3 of lifting COVID-19 restrictions. Watch the latest video update.

For non-medical questions, email or phone 1-877-374-0425.

For medical questions or if you feel ill, phone 811, or launch the COVID-19 self-assessment tool.

Orders and directions: COVID-19

State of emergency

We declared a state of emergency on March 27, 2020, and extended it on June 12, 2020 and September 9, 2020.

A state of emergency declaration may last up to 90 days. We can:

  • cancel it at any time or:
  • continue to extend it by 90 days as long as the pandemic continues to pose a risk to Yukoners.

We have the power to declare a state of emergency under the Civil Emergency Measures Act (CEMA).

We declared a public health emergency on March 18, 2020.

Powers under a state of emergency 

In a state of emergency and a public health emergency, the Minister for Community Services and the Chief Medical Officer of Health can make Orders as required under the Civil Emergency Measures Act and the Public Health and Safety Act.

The Chief Medical Officer of Health can also issue directions, which are different from Orders. 


Orders are rules and requirements that are the law. They are legally enforceable. If someone violates an Order, they may be charged.

  • Charges under the Civil Emergency Measures Act (CEMA) may include:
    • fines up to $500;
    • up to 6 months in prison; or
    • both. 
  • Charges under the Public Health and Safety Act (PHSA) may include fines of up to $5,000 a day.

Read the list of all Ministerial Orders issued to date


Directions are guidance, best practices and strong advice. Everyone should follow directions to protect the health and safety of all Yukoners, especially the most vulnerable. 

Directions are not legally enforceable.

Current Orders 

Entry into Yukon from July 1, 2020

From July 1, residents of Yukon and British Columbia will be allowed to travel back and forth without the need to self-isolate for 14 days. BC residents entering Yukon will need to provide documentation proving their BC residence at the border or airport, such as a driver’s licence.

Also from July 1, residents of the Northwest Territories and Nunavut will be allowed to enter Yukon without needing to self-isolate for 14 days, as long as they travel directly to Yukon from 1 of the territories or through BC.

When anyone enters Yukon, they will be met by a CEMA enforcement officer. Everyone must fill out and sign a declaration form that includes their name, address, contact information, recent travel history, purpose for travel to Yukon and a self-isolation plan.

Everyone arriving in Yukon must also declare whether they have any COVID-19 symptoms, which include cough, fever and shortness of breath or difficulty breathing. If they begin to exhibit symptoms consistent with COVID-19, they must seek medical advice, such as by calling the 811 health line, and must comply with that advice.

If someone is unable to provide acceptable evidence of the purpose of their entry into Yukon, or fails to comply with the directions to complete the required declarations at the border, they will be denied entry.

Appeal process

If someone is denied entry into Yukon, they may appeal the decision to the Minister of Community Services no later than 5 days after they've been refused entry. They must submit an appeal form by email to or in person to an enforcement officer.

The appeal then goes to an appeals secretariat who will work with the Minister of Community Services to make a final decision. The Minister has the power to uphold the decision, to refuse the applicant entry to Yukon or to reverse the decision and allow entry. The appeals secretariat will communicate the decision in writing to the person who appealed.

Read information for people entering Yukon.
Download the Information for People Entering Yukon brochure.

Critical service provider accommodation

Critical service providers are defined as people who are critical to preserving life, health and basic societal functioning, and include specific workers in emergency services, health care, critical infrastructure and legal services. 

The requirement to self-isolate may be waived for critical service providers but they must adhere to the health and safety guidance recommended by the Chief Medical Officer of Health.

Read the Directions and guidelines for the delivery of critical and essential services .  

Read Critical services in Yukon during COVID-19 for more information.

Transiting through Yukon exception

People may transit through Yukon as long as they:

  • complete their transit within 24 hours of their entry: and
  • follow the directions provided by the CEMA enforcement officer for the route they must take and the types of establishments they may enter.

While in transit, travellers must not stop for any unnecessary reasons. For example, if they need fuel, they should pay at the pump or if they must overnight in a hotel, they must self-isolate in their room.

At all times, they must maintain physical distancing and follow the directions of the Chief Medical Officer of Health.

Traditional activities exception

Anyone who is Inuvialuk, Gwich’in or a member of a Transboundary First Nation entering Yukon to exercise an Aboriginal or treaty right in that First Nation’s established or asserted traditional territory is not required to self-isolate for 14 days.

They can only remain in Yukon for the purpose of exercising that right and must not enter into any Yukon community or the Eagle Plains Hotel.


All people outside of the Yukon, BC, NWT and Nunavut mobility bubble must self-isolate in Whitehorse for 14 days, with the following exceptions.

  • If a person is a family member of a Yukon resident they are permitted to stay with their family member at their place of residence in Yukon.
  • If a person has been in Canada for 14 consecutive days before they came to Yukon and have a home on a placer mining claim or in a work camp, they're able to self-isolate for 14 days at the placer mine or work camp as long as:
    • the home is a single residential unit used to house 1 family, and is the only housing unit at that claim or camp;
    • all of the people self-isolating in the home are related by blood, spousal relationship, or adoption; and
    • the person is bringing with them into Yukon, or has already made arrangements to have delivered to their home, supplies sufficient to last for 14 days without replenishment for everyone self-isolating in the home.

Find out how to self-isolate and get support.


Social gatherings of more than 10 people indoors and 50 people outdoors are banned. Everyone gathering should:

  • maintain physical distancing;
  • wash their hands frequently; and
  • follow other hygiene measures. 

Yukoners should not attend any social gatherings, no matter the size if they:

  • have any flu-like symptoms at all; 
  • are over 65 years of age; or
  • have an underlying health condition.

Visiting long-term care facilities

We've developed a phased approach to allowing visits to people living in long-term care facilities.

At this time, outdoor visits for long-term care homes are permitted. 

Prohibited services

A number of services that were previously prohibited under CEMA, such as restaurants, bars and personal services, are now allowed to reopen once we have approved their operational plans. 

Read about prohibited services in Yukon during COVID-19.

Read the ministerial authorizations that enable the lifting of restrictions.


The Civil Emergency Measures Act enforcement officers have the duty and authority to enforce CEMA Orders and health emergency orders, under the direction of the civil emergency planning officer.

CEMA enforcement officers may only be selected from Government of Yukon officials who have:

  • enforcement authorities under other Government of Yukon legislation; and
  • the powers of a peace officer.

These currently include conservation officers, natural resource officers, Safer Communities and Neighbourhoods (SCAN) officers and Yukon Liquor Corporation inspectors.


Education programs resumed on April 16 but all face-to-face classes were suspended for the remainder of the 2019–20 school year.

The Government of Yukon is planning for Yukon Kindergarten to Grade 12 students to return to face-to-face classes in public schools for the start of the 2020–21 school year. 


Libraries were closed but are now providing some services

Recreation centres

Recreation centres were closed but can now reopen if they submit an operational plan and we approve it.

Read the Public recreational centre guidelines.

Return to top ⇧

Requirement to monitor and report communicable disease

Under the Public Health and Safety Act, anyone who believes or has reason to believe that they're infected with a communicable disease, including COVID-19, must notify as soon as possible the nearest health care provider and place themselves under their care.

They must follow the health care provider’s treatment plan and advice.

Return to top ⇧

Federal quarantine measures

From March 25, 2020, the Government of Canada requires mandatory 14-day self-isolation for everyone entering Canada. This applies even if the person does not have COVID-19 symptoms.

Yukoners flying into Canada with symptoms must self-isolate at their arrival destination.

Yukoners flying into Canada who do not have symptoms may travel home to the territory. Once there, they must then follow Yukon requirements and again self-isolate for 14 days.

Learn more about the federal order making self-isolation mandatory for people arriving in Canada.

Return to top ⇧

Current directions

Travel to rural Yukon and BC

At this time, responsible travel to rural communities is permitted. We ask travellers to take extra precautions and be more self-contained.

Read the Travel to Yukon communities guidelines

Travel in and out of Yukon

In an effort to limit the spread of COVID-19 and to protect Yukon’s most vulnerable citizens, Yukon’s Chief Medical Officer of Health strongly advises the suspension of all non-essential travel into and out of Yukon.

Yukoners abroad

All Yukoners planning to return home are advised to return now.

Read travel information for Yukoners abroad.

Work from home

People who can work from home are requested to do so. Employers are asked to look for ways to support employees to work from home where possible.

Delivery of critical, essential and other services

When delivering critical, essential and other services, workers and employers should follow the Direction and guidelines for the delivery of critical, essential and other services.

Read the delivery of services guidelines: travel to communities.

Read the guidelines for information sharing and engagement on provision of services in Yukon's rural communities during COVID-19.


Non-urgent services, such as bloodwork, x-rays and imaging procedures, and some elective surgeries, have resumed.

Yukoners should seek health care and medical treatment at a hospital by appointment only.

The hospitals continue to provide urgent emergency care. Visitor restrictions are still in place.

Go to the Yukon Hospital Corporation website for the latest information on visiting people in hospital and accessing hospital services.


  • Licensed child care operators can now provide care for the children of all Yukon families.
  • Child care operators can return to their pre-COVID-19 enrolment numbers.
  • Summer day camps can operate following guidelines. Overnight camps are not permitted.

Read about child care centres and family day homes.


Follow the Safe 6 to stop the spread of COVID-19 and keep yourself as well as your family and friends. 

Return to top ⇧