Apply for a development permit

A development permit gives you permission to develop property according to standards, regulations and land-use goals. This includes residential and commercial use, building setbacks, maximum height, number and minimum or maximum sizes of buildings and parking requirements. It is based on the area development regulations or on the municipal zoning bylaws for a property.

Municipalities issue development permits and have their own application process and forms. Contact your municipal office for information.

The Government of Yukon issues development permits in unincorporated Yukon communities.

Development permit requirements

Not all building permits need a development permit.The following examples are the kinds of building projects that require a development permit. Email if you need assistance.

  • Adding a building to your property. This includes a home, outbuilding or accessory dwelling unit.
  • Changing the use of a building. For example, residential to commercial or non-dwelling to dwelling.
  • Changing the exterior size or height of existing buildings or structures attached to them. An example would be a deck.

Apply for a development permit

  1. Complete the Development Permit application checklist.
  2. Complete the Development Permit application.
  3. Submit your completed checklist, application and a non-refundable fee of $25.
    In person: 2251B 2nd Avenue, Whitehorse, Yukon. Our office is open Monday to Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
    By mail:
    Government of Yukon
    Building Safety and Standards (C-8)
    Box 2703
    Whitehorse, Yukon
    Y1A 2C6

For assistance with applying for a development permit email or phone: 867-667-5741 or toll free in Yukon: 1-800-661-0408, ext. 5741.