Landlord responsibilities during a tenancy

What if the tenant doesn't pay rent on time?

  1. Review the paying the rent info sheet.
  2. You can give a tenant a 14-day notice to end the tenancy for cause for non-payment or partial payment of rent.
  3. First time rent is late: If the tenant pays the outstanding rent within 5 days of receiving the notice, the notice becomes void.
  4. Repeated non-payment: Paying within 5 days will not void the eviction notice.
  5. Review when a tenant doesn't pay all the rent on time.

What if a tenant doesn't pay the utilities on time?

  1. You must give the tenant a written demand for payment of utilities.
  2. If the outstanding utility charges have not been paid for 15 days or after receipt of the written demand, the landlord may serve 14-day notice to end tenancy form.
  3. If a tenant pays all outstanding utilities within 5 days of receiving the notice, the notice is cancelled and the tenancy continues.
  4. If a tenant applies for dispute resolution within 5 days of receiving the notice, the notice is on hold. The Residential Tenancies Office will hold a hearing and make a final and binding decision that both parties must follow.
  5. If the tenant doesn't pay outstanding utilities within 5 days and doesn't move at the end of the 14-day notice period, you may apply to the Residential Tenancies Office for dispute resolution, seeking Order for Possession and Monetary Order.

Can I increase the rent? By how much?

The Residential Landlord and Tenant Act does not limit the amount of rental increase. However, it does place timing and notice requirements on landlords in relation to rental increases.

What other rights and responsibilities do I have?

Review our other rights and responsibilities info sheet to find out about:

  • Ending or restricting a non-essential service or facility
  • Prohibited fees
  • Permitted fees
  • Additional person joining the household
  • Overcrowding

Quiet enjoyment

Your tenant has a right to "quiet enjoyment." This means they have reasonable privacy, freedom from unreasonable disturbance and exclusive possession.

Review the quiet enjoyment info sheet to learn more.

Access and locks

You must not restrict or alter access to the rental unit. You may enter a rental unit after giving proper written notice. Neither party can change the locks without written permission.


For questions about landlord responsibilities during a tenancy email or phone: 867-667-5944 or toll free in Yukon: 1-800-661-0408, ext. 5944.