Landlord responsibilities at the end of a tenancy

A tenancy ends when:

  • the tenancy agreement is fixed-term and specifies the tenant will move out at the end of the term;
  • the tenant or landlord give notice to end a periodic tenancy;
  • circumstances beyond the landlord’s or tenant’s control make it impossible for the tenancy agreement to continue;
  • the tenant abandons the rental unit;
  • the landlord is granted an order by the Residential Tenancies Office; or
  • the tenant and landlord mutually agree in writing to end the tenancy.

Review the when a tenancy ends info sheet for more information.

Notice to end the tenancy

You must give a copy of the notice to the tenant. The notice is considered served that same day. If you prefer, a third party can give the copy of the notice. You have 2 options.

  1. Attach a copy to the front door or other noticeable place of the tenant’s rental unit and also send a copy by mail (ordinary or registered mail) to the address. The notice is considered served 5 full days after the mailing date or;
  2. Send a copy by registered mail to the address of the rental unit or to a forwarding address provided by the tenant. The notice is considered served 5 full days after mailing.

Note: You can't slide the notice under the door or email it unless you have an order for substituted service from the Residential Tenancies Office. A tenant may be able to dispute the notice by making application to our office within 5 days of receipt of a with cause notice, and 10 days of receipt of a without cause notice.

How much notice do I have to give my tenant?

  • Monthly tenancies require 2 full rental months' notice.
  • Yearly tenancies require 3 full rental months' notice.
  • Weekly tenancies require 1 full rental week's notice.
  • Any other period of tenancy requires 2 full rental months' notice.

Notice forms

Ending a tenancy with a reason (14-day notice for cause)

You may give 14 days' notice to end a tenancy for 1 or more of the following reasons. Review the Notice to end tenancy fact sheet for more information.

Notice form

You may end a tenancy when the tenant:

  • doesn't pay the security deposit within 30 days of the start date in the tenancy agreement;
  • hasn't repaired damage as required within a reasonable time;
  • repeatedly pays rent late;
  • has breached the tenancy agreement and not corrected the breach in a reasonable time after receiving a letter to do so;
  • knowingly gives false information to a prospective tenant or buyer;
  • seriously jeopardizes health or safety or lawful right or interest;
  • puts the landlord's property at significant risk;
  • hasn't complied with an order of the Residential Tenancies Office within 30 days of receipt or the date specified in the order, whichever is later.

You may end a tenancy when the tenant or person permitted by tenant:

  • has seriously affected another occupant, the landlord or an adjacent neighbour with significant interference or unreasonable disturbance;
  • has engaged in illegal activity that has caused or is likely to cause damage to the property;
  • has negatively affected or is likely to affect the quiet enjoyment, security, safety or physical well-being of another tenant, occupant, landlord or adjacent neighbour;
  • has caused extraordinary damage to the property.

Repossess a rental unit

You need to apply to the Residential Tenancies Office for an order of possession. This order gives you the right to repossess the rental unit and requires the tenant to move out.

Review the order of possession info sheet for more information.

Complete the move-out condition inspection report

You must complete the move-out condition inspection report. This records the rental unit's condition at the time the tenant moves out. Review the condition inspection reports info sheet for more information.

Inspection form

Return the security deposit

After a tenant has moved out and given you a forwarding address in writing, you have 15 calendar days to do 1 of the following:

  • return the deposit with interest;
  • obtain the tenant's consent in writing to any deductions from the security deposit and return the difference to the tenant; or
  • apply for dispute resolution asking to keep all or some of the security deposit if the tenant does not agree with the requested deductions.

Calculate your security deposit interest.

Review the return of security deposits info sheet.

Dealing with abandoned possessions

A rental unit is considered abandoned when the tenant gives up tenancy and possession without proper notice to the landlord. If the tenant leaves personal property in the rental unit, you can:

  • apply to the Residential Tenancies Office to remove and sell or dispose of the property; or
  • itemize and store the items until you get a Residential Tenancies Office order or the tenant comes back to claim the items. You are required to exercise reasonable care and ensure the property is not damaged, lost or stolen. You can seek compensation from the tenant for any costs incurred with storing the tenant’s property. Keep a written inventory of any abandoned property. You might also want to take photographs of the items to document their condition.

Review the Abandoned property info sheet for more information.


For questions about landlord responsibilities at the end of a tenancy email or phone: 867-667-5944 or toll free in Yukon: 1-800-661-0408, ext. 5944.