Tenant responsibilities during a tenancy

REA landlord can't eliminate or restrict an essential service.

Make sure you're familiar with the rules and regulations before renting property.

Paying the rent on time

Rent must be paid in full on the day it is due. The only exceptions are if you and the landlord have an agreement signed in writing or if you are complying with an order from the Residential Tenancies Office.

Review the paying the rent info sheet.

Rent increase

During the first year of a tenancy, the landlord can't increase the rent. You must receive written notice at least 3 full rental months before the increase and the landlord can only increase rent once every 12 months.

If you are renting a mobile home site, you may treat the rent increase notice as a notice to end the tenancy by advising the landlord in writing within 30 days of receipt of the notice.

Review the rent increases info sheet.

Paying utilities on time

You must pay your utilities in full if paying utilities is included in your tenancy agreement. If it isn't included in the agreement, the landlord can treat the unpaid charges the same as unpaid rent.

Quiet enjoyment

You have a right to "quiet enjoyment." This means that you must have reasonable privacy, freedom from unreasonable disturbance and exclusive possession to your rental unit.

Review the quiet enjoyment info sheet.

Minimum rental standards

You must inform the landlord if you have any concerns or issues about your rental unit. You must not do anything to the rental unit or property that might create a health, fire or safety hazard.

Review the minimum rental standards info sheet.

Access and locks

You must not restrict or alter access to the rental unit. The landlord may enter a rental unit after giving proper written notice. Neither party can change the locks without written permission from the other.

Review the locks info sheet.

Read the access info sheet.

Subletting or assigning a tenancy

You can sublet or assign your tenancy, but you must have a signed agreement with your landlord. The landlord can't unreasonably refuse to sublet or assign a tenancy or charge a fee.

Review the subletting or assigning a tenancy info sheet.

Domestic violence and tenancies

If you are experiencing domestic violence, safety is your first priority before working on tenancy issues. 

Review domestic violence and residential tenancies info sheet.

Other rights and responsibilities

A landlord can't eliminate or restrict an essential service.

A landlord can eliminate a non-essential service or facility as long as you both agree on your compensation.

If you don't agree to the proposed change, you can apply for dispute resolution by contacting us:

  • In person: 307 Black Street in Whitehorse. We are open Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
  • Email: rto@gov.yk.ca
  • Phone: 867-667-5944 or toll free in Yukon: 1-800-661-0408, ext. 5944.

Read the other rights and responsibilities info sheet.