Make sure you're familiar with the rules and regulations before renting property.
Complete the tenancy agreement
- Review the tenancy agreement info sheet.
- Complete the tenancy agreement form.
- Ensure the form is signed and dated by you and the landlord.
- The landlord must provide you with a copy of the tenancy agreement.
Complete the move-in condition inspection report
- Review the condition inspection reports info sheet.
- Complete the condition inspection report with the landlord. Note any deficiencies you find within the unit.
- Sign the report along with the landlord. The landlord must give you a copy within 14 days of the move-in inspection.
Pay the security deposit
- Review the security deposit info sheet.
- Ensure the security deposit section is filled out on the tenancy agreement.
- Pay deposit. You only pay a security deposit at the start of a tenancy. This amount cannot be more than the first month's rent.
What are the minimum rental standards?
- Review the minimum rental standards info sheet.
- When you complete your move-in condition inspection report with the landlord, ensure the property meets these requirements.
- If you notice the property does not meet these requirements and your landlord is not addressing the issue, please contact the Residential Tenancies Office.
In person: 307 Black Street in Whitehorse. We are open Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Phone: 867-667-5944 or toll free in Yukon: 1-800-661-0408, ext. 5944.