The Indigenous Artists and Cultural Carriers Micro-grant supports Indigenous Yukon artists and cultural carriers with accessible and timely funding.
How much can you apply for?
You can apply for up to $5,000.
Who can apply?
You can apply to this program to complete a project. You have to be Indigenous and an emerging or established:
- arts worker; or
- cultural carrier.
Eligible applicants are:
- Indigenous people who’ve lived in the Yukon for at least 1 continuous year when they apply;
- Yukon First Nations who live in the Yukon; and
- Yukon First Nations who previously lived in the Yukon and maintain ties to the territory.
Types of projects and activities
The program supports a variety of creative and cultural projects and activities. Some examples include:
- creating new work;
- mentorships with established artists or knowledge keepers;
- attendance at workshops, conferences, craft fairs or arts events;
- travel within and outside the territory for professional or artistic development and opportunities;
- podcast projects;
- business plans with a priority on emerging artists;
- activities that build partnerships between the creative and cultural industries and the business sector; and
- preparation for selling work (for example, preparing display cases for market readiness).
Who cannot apply?
- A person under the age of 16
- A person or group who submits more than 1 application at a time
- A person or group with outstanding reports for any previous Yukon government arts funding
- A person or group whose submission is incomplete
There are 2 tiers of funding available. Funding can cover 100 per cent of eligible expenses.
Tier 1: Up to $1,500
Tier 2: $1,501 to $5,000
How to apply
Please contact the Indigenous outreach liaison with questions or to discuss your project. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 867-333-5602.
View the application form and guidelines.
The arts advisors will assess the applications against the program’s:
- requirements; and
They’ll assess applications on the potential impacts and benefits of the activity, and not on artistic excellence or experience.
We'll notify you of the results in writing within:
- 5 working days for tier 1; or
- 10 working days for tier 2.
You can submit your application as of January 1, 2023. The grant has a rolling intake and you can apply at any time.
Who provides the funding?
The grant embodies the principles and objectives of Creative Potential: Advancing the Yukon’s Creative and Cultural Industries strategy.
The Government of Yukon and the Canada Council for the Arts manage the funding program.
Tamika Knutson, Indigenous outreach liaison, Arts Section, Department of Tourism and Culture.
Phone or text: 867-333-5602