The Government of Yukon has announced new health measures across all Yukon airports effective July 1, 2020. Individuals entering the building or the airport terminal will be required to wear a non-medical mask or face covering. This is in addition to the measures announced by Transport Canada on April 20, 2020.
As travel restrictions begin to lift, an increase in airport traffic is anticipated throughout the summer months. These additional protective measures will help slow the spread of COVID-19 and ensure passengers and airport staff are able to maintain the same level of safety obtained from physical distancing, particularly at crowded sections such as security checkpoints and check-in lines.
It is advised that people only enter the airport if it is absolutely essential. Yukoners are encouraged to use the free parking or the cell-phone waiting lot when picking passengers up.
Wearing a mask alone will not prevent the spread of COVID-19. All Yukoners must strictly adhere to good hygiene and public health measures such as frequent hand washing and physical distancing.
Non-medical face masks or face coverings should:
- allow for easy breathing;
- fit securely to the head with ties or ear loops;
- maintain their shape after washing and drying;
- be changed as soon as possible if damp or dirty;
- be comfortable and not require frequent adjustment;
- be made of at least two layers of tightly woven material fabric (such as cotton or linen; and
- be large enough to completely and comfortably cover the nose and mouth without gaping.
Communications, Highways and Public Works