- Determine if your agency is eligible
- Complete the renewal application form
- Provide all other required supporting documents
- Pay your fees
- Submit the application, supporting documents and fees
Determine if your agency is eligible
All security agencies in Yukon must hold a current Yukon licence and renew it every year.
There are 4 classes of licences security agencies can hold in Yukon:
- security guard;
- private investigator;
- security consultant: and
- burglar alarm agent.
All security agency licences expire annually on March 31. Submit your agency’s renewal application before March 1. This will ensure we can process the application before the licence expires.
It's illegal to do business in the new licence year before we have issued your agency a new licence.
You can apply to renew your security agency’s licence if the agency holds a current Yukon security agency licence.
Complete the renewal application form
Complete all sections of the renewal application form. Do not leave a section blank. Enter "not applicable" when it's relevant.
Who can complete the form?
- The agency owner.
- An agency partner or a member of the agency's board of directors.
- At the top of the form, select the licence class the agency is renewing.
- An agency can renew more than 1 class on 1 application.
- The applicant must sign and complete the affidavit on the form.
- The applicant must also have a notary public witness and sign the affidavit.
- We may return incomplete applications.
Provide all other required supporting documents
Gather together the following documents and provide these with your complete application package.
Criminal record check
- Provide a criminal record check for the agency’s owner.
- If applicable, also provide a check for each manager, business partner and member of the board of directors.
- Anyone in the agency who requires a criminal record check should request this from their local RCMP detachment.
- The RCMP will send the results directly to the requester’s mailing address or will make the results available for pickup.
- The licence applicant should then include the results of all criminal record checks with the application package.
- The RCMP must have completed the checks no more than 90 days before the date the agency submits the application package.
Proof of liability insurance
- The agency must hold liability insurance in the amount of $100,000 or more.
- We accept photocopies of liability insurance as proof.
Proof of surety bond
- An insurance company licensed in Yukon must issue the surety bond.
- The bond must be for at least $5,000.
- We accept photocopies of the bond as proof.
Photos of uniforms, badges, rank insignia or equipment
- Only security guard agencies must provide this.
- Your agency must notify our office if it makes any changes to these items during the licence year.
Pay your fees
Annual licence fee: $25 per licence class.
An agency can pay its fees by cheque or credit card. Complete the payment information form and include this and the fees with the agency application.
Submit the application, supporting documents and fees
Submit the entire application package. This must include:
- the completed application form;
- all required supporting documents; and
- the payment form and fees.
We typically process applications within 30 business days. We will confirm the agency has met all legal requirements before issuing a licence.
We may return the application if the agency has not provided all the required documentation.
Submit the application package
- In person or by courier at 307 Black Street, Whitehorse Y1A 2N1. We are open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m to 4:30 p.m.
- Email: email@example.com
- Fax: 867-667-3609
Government of Yukon
Professional Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (C-5)
Whitehorse, YT Y1A 2C6
For questions about renewing a security agency licence, email: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone: 867-667-5111 or toll free in Yukon 1-800-661-0408 ext. 5111.