Renew a security agency licence

  1. Determine if your agency's eligible
  2. Complete the renewal application form
  3. Provide all other required supporting documents
  4. Pay your fees
  5. Submit your complete renewal application package

  1. Determine if your agency's eligible

    All security agencies in Yukon must hold a current Yukon licence and renew it every year.

    There are 4 classes of licences security agencies can hold in Yukon:

    • security guard;
    • private investigator;
    • security consultant: and
    • burglar alarm agent.

    Renewal period

    All security agency licences expire annually on March 31. Submit your agency’s renewal application before March 1. This ensures we can process the application before your agency's licence expires.

    It's illegal to do business in the new licence year before we have issued your agency a new licence.


    You can apply to renew your security agency’s licence if the agency holds a current Yukon security agency licence.

    If your agency has had any complaints, disciplinary or criminal action against you, please note:

    • we will assess your eligibility for registration or licensure on a case-by-case basis; and
    • you may not be approved for registration or licensing.

  2. Complete the renewal application form

    Complete all sections of the renewal application form. Do not leave a section blank. Enter "not applicable" when it's relevant.

    Who can complete the form?

    • The agency owner
    • An agency partner or a member of the agency's board of directors


    • At the top of the form, select the licence class your agency is renewing.
    • An agency can renew more than 1 class on 1 application.
    • The applicant must sign and complete the affidavit on the form.
    • The applicant must also have a notary public witness and sign the affidavit.
    • We may return incomplete applications.

  3. Provide all other required supporting documents

    Gather together the following documents and provide these with your complete application package.

    Criminal record check

    • Provide a criminal record check for the agency’s owner.
    • If applicable, also provide a check for each manager, business partner and member of the board of directors.
    • Anyone in the agency who requires a criminal record check should request a check by visiting:
      • their local RCMP;
      • their local police detachment;
      • or an approved third party service provider.
    • All checks must be completed no more than 90 days before the date the agency submits the application package.
    • Applicants should ask the provider of the criminal record check to:
      • send the results to their mailing address; or
      • make the results available for pick up. 

    Proof of liability insurance

    • The agency must hold liability insurance in the amount of $100,000 or more.
    • We accept photocopies of liability insurance as proof.

    Proof of surety bond

    • An insurance company licensed in Yukon must issue the surety bond.
    • The bond must be for at least $5,000.
    • We accept photocopies of the bond as proof.

    Photos of uniforms, badges, rank insignia or equipment

    • Only security guard agencies must provide this.
    • Your agency must notify our office if it makes any changes to these items during the licence year.

  4. Pay your fees


    Annual licence fee: $25 per licence class.

    How to pay

    You can pay by:

    • cheque;
    • credit card;
    • cash; or
    • debit.


    • Complete the payment information form.
    • Provide a cheque in the appropriate amount made out to the Government of Yukon.
    • After we issue your licence, we'll cash your cheque.

    Credit card

    • Complete the payment information form.
    • If you submit your application in person, by courier or mail, you may include your credit card info on your payment information form.
    • If you submit your application by email or fax, do not include your credit card information on your form. We'll contact you for your credit card info.
    • After we issue your licence, we'll take payment.

    Cash or debit

    • You can only pay by cash or debit if you can pay in person at our office in Whitehorse.
    • Complete the payment information form.
    • We'll hold your licence at our office after we issue it.
    • We'll take payment by cash or debit when you pick it up.

  5. Submit your complete renewal application package

    Prepare your renewal application package

    Your complete application package must include:

    • your completed application form;
    • all supporting documents; and
    • your payment form.

    We typically process applications within 30 business days. We'll confirm you've met all legal requirements before issuing a licence. We may return your application if you’ve not provided all the required documentation.

    How to submit

    • In person or by courier at 307 Black Street, Whitehorse Y1A 2N1. We're open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
    • Email:
    • Fax: 867-667-3609
    • Mail:
      Government of Yukon
      Professional Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (C-5)
      Box 2703
      Whitehorse, YT Y1A 2C6


For questions about renewing a security agency licence, email, or phone 867-667-5111, toll free in Yukon 1-800-661-0408 extension 5111.