COVID-19 measures for Corporate Affairs

Due to ongoing concerns related to the COVID-19, Corporate Affairs has put new measures in place as of November 23, 2020. View the measures

Starting a Yukon society

  1. What is a Yukon society?
  2. Decide on a name
  3. After you decide on a name
  4. What if you do not send your documents in by the expiration date?
  5. How to prepare your documents
  6. After we receive your documents and payment

  1. What is a Yukon society?

    A society is a not-for-profit corporation created by a group of 5 or more people who share a common interest, such as:

    • recreation;
    • culture;
    • science;
    • community; and
    • social activities.

    The society must exist for a lawful purpose other than carrying on a “for-profit” business.

    Any money a society raises must benefit the broader community. This benefit must be included in the society's purposes. Funds cannot be distributed to directors or members for their own benefit.

  2. Decide on a name

    Decide on a name for the society. The name of the society must include at least 1 of the following required legal elements:

    • alliance;
    • association;
    • board;
    • bureau;
    • centre;
    • church;
    • club;
    • coalition;
    • council;
    • ensemble;
    • federation;
    • foundation;
    • guild;
    • league;
    • mission;
    • network;
    • society;
    • task;
    • force; or
    • volunteers.


  3. After you decide on a name

    To obtain a certificate of name reservation, you must submit the following to our office:

    The proposed name has to follow the requirements of the Naming Regulation. If the name does this, we'll issue a certificate of name reservation. This is valid for 90 days. The process can take up to 5 business days.

  4. What if you do not send your documents in by the expiration date?

    The certificate of name reservation is valid for a period of 90 days. Within the 90 days, you can proceed to complete the required documents.

    Submit your application by the expiration date on the certificate. If you miss this date, you'll have to:

    • resubmit an application for name reservation; and
    • pay the $40 fee again.


  5. How to prepare your documents

    After you get your certificate of name reservation, download and complete the Form 1 ‒ Application for incorporation of a Yukon society.

    How to fill out the form

    The information you provide on the form must be legible. Also make sure to complete each section.

    Section 1: Name

    The name must match the name appearing on the certificate of name reservation.

    Section 2: Purpose of society

    The purpose of the society should predominantly be:

    • relief of poverty or disease;
    • the advancement of education;
    • the advancement of religion; or
    • the advancement of any cultural, recreational, athletic or other activity or program that's beneficial to a Yukon community.

    Section 3: Operations of a society

    The address of where the operations of the society take place needs to be a physical address.

    Section 4: Registered address

    Every society must have a registered office in Yukon. This office is where all communications may be sent and at which all documents may be served.

    “Delivery address” refers to a physical location. Include an address or other description to identify a person’s home or place of business. This does not include a post office box.

    “Mailing address” refers to where you send mail. Include a complete mailing address, including the postal code. This address can be a person’s home, place of business or post office box.

    Section 5: Fiscal year end

    Fiscal year end typically occurs at the end of a month. When deciding on a fiscal year end, consider when it's most convenient for the society to hold its annual general meeting. Societies are required to hold an annual general meeting and submit its annual report within 4 months after its fiscal year end.

    Section 6: Bylaws of the society

    Societies must adopt bylaws. You must choose 1 of the 3 mandatory options. Choose from the options listed in the document: Societies Act ‒ Options for bylaws.

    Section 7: Directors of society

    The society should have at least 1 director at the time of incorporation. The director or directors listed will not have an officer title. The director or directors will hold this role in the society until you file a Form 2 ‒ Notice of change of directors.

    Section 8: Applicants for incorporation

    There must be at least 5 applicants. The applicants are the original members of the society after the society is incorporated.

    Section 9: Date

    Include the date of the application.

    Submit your documents and pay your fee

    After the form is completed, submit it along with the fee. The cost of filing an application for incorporation of a Yukon society is $30.

    How to pay

    You can pay by:

    • cheque;
    • credit card;
    • cash; or
    • debit card.


    Provide a cheque in the appropriate amount made out to Government of Yukon.

    Credit card

    We accept Visa, Master Card and American Express payment at the office. If you send your documents by fax, email or mail, provide a phone number where we can reach you. This is so you can give us your credit card information.

    Cash or debit

    Payment in cash or with a debit card can only be made in person at our office in Whitehorse: 307 Black Street, 1st floor

    COVID-19 office operations

    Until further notice, because of the COVID-19 safety measures, our office is closed to the public.

    Deliver your documents to us

    You can drop off forms in our secure drop box. It's in the entrance of our building between the outside and inside doors. You'll also find copies of the most used forms next to the drop box.

    When you put your forms in our secure drop box, you can include:

    • cash;
    • cheque; or
    • a payment information form to contact you for credit card payments.

    To pay with debit card, you'll have to make arrangements beforehand:

    1. Phone us: 867-667-5314
    2. Tell us a date and time when you can come to our office.
    3. Our staff will meet you in the entryway between the interior and exterior doors at the agreed-to time with a point-of-sale terminal.


  6. After we receive your documents and payment

    Processing time

    After we've accepted and filed all your documents, you'll receive a certificate of incorporation. The society comes into existence at this time. The process can take up to 10 business days.

    Legal advice

    Staff at Corporate Affairs cannot provide any interpretation of legislation or operational advice of any sort regarding:

    • business corporations;
    • sole proprietorships;
    • partnerships;
    • cooperative associations; or
    • societies.

    If you need advice, talk with a professional such as a lawyer or an accountant.

    Our staff cannot provide legal advice or services. For legal matters, contact a lawyer or phone the Yukon Law Line at 867-668-5297, toll free 1-866-667-4305.

    Business identifier numbers and taxes

    For information about business identifier numbers, taxes and charitable status, visit the Canada Revenue Agency.

    Business licences

    For information about business licences, phone the City of Whitehorse 867-668-8346 or email


Our offices are open Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Phone: 867-667-5314, or toll free in Yukon 1-800-661-0408, extension 5314

Fax: 867-393-6251


Government of Yukon
Corporate Affairs (C-6)
Box 2703,
Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6