- About the Arts Advisory Council (Yukon)
- Apply to be a member
- Current members
About the Arts Advisory Council (Yukon)
The Council has the following functions:
- make recommendations to the Minister on financial assistance to individual artists and arts organizations;
- at least once every two years, conduct a review of the criteria for financial assistance and make recommendations to the Minister about how to serve the current needs of artists, arts organizations, and arts consumers;
- monitor the implementation of the Yukon arts policy and other programs and services under the Act;
- make recommendations to the Minister about changes to the Yukon arts policy; and
- make recommendations to the Minister on matters that the Minister refers to the Council for its advice.
- Authority: Arts Act, section 4
- Type: advisory
- Appointment process: ministerial
- Requirements: Established, professional artists, knowledgeable participants in the arts or people that have made a significant contribution to the development of the arts. Members are selected with the goal of representing several arts disciplines, Yukon communities and the distinct interests of First Nations artists.
- Term: not to exceed 3 years but may be reappointed for a further term
- Meetings: 5 times per year
- Department: Tourism and Culture
- Honoraria: OIC 2002/170
Apply to be a member
Any Yukon resident is eligible to apply to serve on a government board or committee.
- Complete the application.
- Prepare a brief resume. This should include information relevant for sitting on the board or committee.
- Submit your completed application and resume.
In person: Inquiry Desk at 2071 Second Avenue in Whitehorse. We are open Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Address your envelope "Attention: Boards and Committees Secretariat (CM-1)"
Government of Yukon
Boards and Committees Secretariat (CM-1)
Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6
How members are selected
Members are appointed by a Minister, Cabinet or the Legislative Assembly.
School board and school council members can be elected or, in some cases, appointed.
Appointments to these boards are based on standing committee recommendations:
- Yukon Development Corporation
- Yukon Energy Corporation
- Yukon Workers' Compensation Health and Safety Board
- Yukon Lottery Commission
- Yukon Recreation Advisory Committee
- Yukon Arts Advisory Council
- Yukon Utilities Board
- Yukon Council on the Economy and the Environment
- Yukon Human Rights Commission
Some boards and committees members are required to hold certain professional qualifications or affiliations.
- Allison (Al) Cushing, member from April 16, 2020 to April 15, 2023
- Krystle Silverfox member from June 9, 2022 to June 8, 2025
- Tony Penikett member from June 9, 2022 to June 8, 2025
- Paris Pick member from June 9, 2022 to June 8, 2025
- William Glenn Chatten, member from February 25, 2021 to February 24, 2024
For questions about the Arts Advisory Council (Yukon) phone 867-667-3535, or fax 867-393-7400, or toll free in Yukon 1-800-661-0408, ext. 3535.