- About the Education Appeal Tribunal
- Apply to be a member
- Current Members
About the Education Appeal Tribunal
The Appeal Tribunal functions as a board independently of the government. It may hear appeals arising from departmental, school or school council decisions. This includes decisions such as those affecting special needs students, suspensions, student records and locally developed courses of study. The Appeal Tribunal hears appeals from parents and students who wish to go beyond the Department of Education to resolve a dispute. In determining the outcome of an appeal, the Appeal Tribunal considers the educational interests of the child, the impact on all other students and any other relevant factors.
- Authority: Education Act, section 157
- Type: adjudicative
- Appointment process: ministerial
- Requirements: the chair and members must swear an oath of non-disclosure in the prescribed form for information gained during an appeal
- Term: 3 years
- Meetings: as required
- Department: Education
- Honoraria: OIC 1991/036
Apply to be a member
Any Yukon resident is eligible to apply to serve on a government board or committee.
- Complete the application.
- Prepare a brief resume. This should include information relevant for sitting on the board or committee.
- Submit your completed application and resume.
In person: Inquiry Desk at 2071 Second Avenue in Whitehorse. We are open Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Address your envelope "Attention: Boards and Committees Secretariat (CM-1)"
Government of Yukon
Boards and Committees Secretariat (CM-1)
Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6
How members are selected
Members are appointed by a Minister, Cabinet or the Legislative Assembly.
School board and school council members can be elected or, in some cases, appointed.
Appointments to these boards are based on standing committee recommendations:
- Yukon Development Corporation
- Yukon Energy Corporation
- Yukon Workers' Compensation Health and Safety Board
- Yukon Lottery Commission
- Yukon Recreation Advisory Committee
- Yukon Arts Advisory Council
- Yukon Utilities Board
- Yukon Council on the Economy and the Environment
- Yukon Human Rights Commission
Some boards and committees members are required to hold certain professional qualifications or affiliations.
- Janet Van Bibber, member from April 29, 2021 to April 28, 2024
- Jennifer Grandy, chair from April 29, 2021 to March 13, 2022
- Margaret Webb, member from April 29, 2021 to April 28, 2024
- Michael Riseborough, member from April 29, 2021 to April 28, 2024
- Terry Markley, member from March 14, 2019, to March 13, 2022
For questions about the Education Appeal Tribunal email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 867-667-5900, or fax 867-393-3904.