You can appeal a Yukon Housing decision made in your application to these or any other Yukon Housing program:
- Rent-Geared-to-Income and housing benefit;
- grants and loans for Yukon homeowners; and
- building incentive programs such as Municipal Matching Rental Construction program, Housing Initiatives Fund or the Developer Build Loan.
Role of the Appeal Committee
The Appeal Committee is made up of Yukon Housing Corporation’s Board members. They review the corporation's decisions and actions to ensure fair and proper application of program:
- guidelines; and
- rules and conditions
A committee may decide that a policy needs review. The committee will share recommendations with the Yukon Housing Board of Directors for review if necessary.
When the committee may not hear your appeal
- Your appeal relates to the end of a tenancy agreement.
- Legislated timelines have expired for dispute-resolution .
If the above apply, we'll tell you to take your appeal to the Residential Tenancies Office.
How to appeal and the steps involved
Before appealing to the committee
Write a letter of appeal
- You must start your appeal in writing. If you intend to appeal a decision, ask staff to provide the contact details of the director responsible for the program.
- Address your letter to the director responsible for the relevant program. Do this within 10 calendar days of when you received the decision or action. Outline your perspective and the circumstances you wish to be considered.
- The director will review the decision and send their response to you within 12 calendar days of receiving your appeal letter.
Submitting your appeal
If you are not satisfied with the director's response
You can appeal in writing to the Yukon Housing Corporation Board of Directors Appeal Committee. Do this within 10 calendar days of receiving the director’s decision. Submit your appeal letter that:
- states the reason for the appeal; and
- outlines the relevant facts.
You may ask to have the hearing by teleconference or videoconference.
Send us your appeal
Our office is at 410 Jarvis Street in Whitehorse, and is open from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm from Monday through Friday.
YHC Board of Directors Appeal Committee
410 Jarvis Street
Hearing your appeal
The Appeal Committee will set up a time for a hearing. This can be in-person or by alternative means.
Who can attend the hearing
- You can attend.
- You can designate in writing a representative. They can attend.
After your appeal
The Appeal Committee will issue a written decision within 7 calendar days of the hearing. They may:
- dismiss or uphold your appeal;
- direct staff to settle your appeal on terms agreed to by all parties; or
- issue additional direction to staff to deal with your appeal in a fair and reasonable manner.
For questions email email@example.com or phone 867-667-5759 or toll free in the Yukon 1-800-661-0408, extension 5759.