Apply for the Yukon Grant

  • Learn about the Yukon Grant
  • Eligibility
  • Definitions and extra information about residency and post-secondary studies
  • How to apply to the Yukon Grant
  • Receiving your grant

  1. Learn about the Yukon Grant

    Length of time you may receive the Yukon Grant

    Students can receive up to 170 weeks of funding over their lifetime. You must continue to meet eligibility requirements.

    Payment amount

    We calculate the Yukon Grant on a weekly basis.

    For the 2023-24 academic year, the Yukon Grant will pay $167 per week of study. You'll receive the Yukon Grant in lump-sum payments.

    Payment Example

    If you study from September to April inclusive, your school year is 34 weeks long. The calculation is 34 weeks x $167 per week = $5,678.

    The first 16 weeks are paid to the student directly during the 1st week of classes ($2,672). The remaining 18 weeks ($3,006) are released after the student uploads a Program Information form to the student portal that:  

    • has been completed by the post-secondary institution within 60 days, and  
    • confirms enrolment during the 2nd semester.

    Travel amount

    Students going to school outside of the territory may be eligible for an annual travel amount of $1,500.

    Students from Yukon communities may also be eligible for an extra travel amount.

    We automatically assess students for this amount. The travel amount is usually included with your first Yukon Grant payment.

    Eligibility for Travel Amount

    You must return to Yukon at least once since the last time you received a travel amount.

    Can you receive the Yukon Grant and the Student Training Allowance?

    No, you cannot receive the Yukon Grant and the Student Training Allowance at the same time. You have to choose the funding that suits you best if you:

    • attend a Yukon Institution; and
    • are eligible for both grants.

    Can you combine the 2 grants?

    You can receive a total of 170 weeks of funding from the Yukon Grant and the Student Training Allowance combined.

    For example, if you use 68 weeks of the Student Training Allowance you'll have 102 weeks of funding left for either:

    • Student Training Allowance; or
    • the Yukon Grant.

    Extra funding

    Yukon Grant eligible students may receive up to 68 weeks of extra funding. This is to attend full-time upgrading courses using the Student Training Allowance program.

    What if you have a gap between secondary and post-secondary education?

    You can receive the Yukon Grant if there is a gap between when:

    • you finish secondary schooling; and
    • you begin post-secondary schooling.

    You must continue to meet the eligibility requirements.

    Receiving student financial assistance from more than 1 funding source

    Students may receive the Yukon Grant along with another student's financial assistance. You must meet the eligibility requirements.

    Students with a disability

    You may qualify for the Yukon Grant even with a reduced course load. Check with your institution to see what supports are in place.

  2. Eligibility

    To be eligible, you must:

    • be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident;
    • study at a designated institution anywhere in the world;
    • be a full-time student;
    • meet 1 of the following requirements:
      • completed 2 years of secondary school in Yukon;
      • if you are younger than 20, have resided in Yukon continuously since the age of 14; or
      • in any other case, live in Yukon from the age of 14 to the age of 18.
    • not be eligible for funding from another province, territory or country;
      • this may happen if you, a parent or other supporting person resided outside of Yukon for 12 months or longer;
      • if you are not sure, check with our office.
    • have lived in Yukon for the 2 years right before your classes start. Generally, you are a Yukon resident if you:

    Maintain Yukon residency

    You could lose your eligibility if you do not return to Yukon when you are not in full-time studies.

    If you have been away for more than 4 months (not counting full-time studies) during the 2 years before your classes start, you must:

    Eligibility for student financial assistance in other jurisdictions

    You are not eligible for the Yukon Grant if you are eligible to apply for funding from another jurisdiction.

    A student, their parent or another supporting person can be considered as a resident by:

    • another territory; 
    • province; or 
    • country.

    This may happen when a person has resided outside of Yukon for at least 12 months.


    You're eligible in another jurisdiction when:

    • as a dependent student, your parents moved away from Yukon to another province for at least 12 months;
    • as a married or common-law student, your spouse or partner moved away from Yukon to another province for at least 12 months; or
    • as an independent student, you have moved away from Yukon to another province for at least 12 months while not a full-time student.

  3. Definitions and extra information about residency and post-secondary studies

    Absences from the territory of more than 4 months

    You’re considered absent if you’ve been:

    • away for more than 4 months;
    • while not in full-time studies; and
    • during the 2 years before you start classes.

    To prove Yukon residency

    You'll need to:

    • show that you filed as a Yukon resident with Canada Revenue Agency for the previous 2 tax years;
    • confirm you maintained your Yukon health care insurance coverage during your absence; and
    • confirm you maintained your Yukon drivers’ licence during your absence if you drive.

    What counts as full-time studies?

    Designated institutions determine whether a student is in a full-time post-secondary program. Some institutions have different rules. Check with your institution if you're not sure.

    Can you use the grant for a graduate degree program?

    You may use Yukon Grant funding for:

    • a Master’s degree; or
    • a PhD.

    You must meet the eligibility requirements.

    Studying at 2 or more post-secondary institutions

    You may be able to take courses at more than 1 institution and be eligible for the Yukon Grant. Your designated institution must submit written approval to our Student Financial Assistance Office. They must state that you are full-time at the start of classes for your current academic year.

  4. How to apply to the Yukon Grant

    When to apply

    You must apply each year for Yukon Grant funding.

    You'll have to apply more than once in a year if you:

    • change institutions;
    • withdraw or change to part-time studies then return to full-time studies within the same academic year;
    • have a break in studies of 3 weeks or more between classes; or
    • change programs.


    6 weeks after the start date of your classes.

    How to apply

    Additional forms you may need to submit

    Receive the Yukon Grant by direct deposit

    When you first apply, provide your banking information in your application.  Or, you can submit the direct deposit authorization form to You only fill out this form when you first apply or to change your banking information.

    If your direct deposit is not set up, a cheque will be mailed to the home address in your application. 

    For questions about direct deposit, you can phone 867-667-3557 or toll free in Yukon 1-800-661-0408, extension 3557. 

    Are you applying as a dependant student?

    Have your parents complete the Schedule A - Parent/Legal Guardian Residency Declaration.

    Program information form 

    All applicants are required to have their post-secondary institution complete the program information form to receive each Yukon Grant payment. 

    Online application

    1. Register or log in to the online portal.

      Log in to Student Financial Assistance portal

    2. Upload a program information form completed by an authorized post-secondary institution representative. 
    3. Submit your completed application with the uploaded forms through the online portal. 

    You can appeal a grant decision

    Find out how to appeal a grant decision.

  5. Receiving your grant

    How will you receive payments?

    Once you're approved, you'll receive a letter outlining the amount you can expect. We then deposit your Yukon Grant cheque in your bank account. If you did not submit your Direct deposit authorization form we'll send it to your home address.

    When will you receive payments?

    We process applications on a first-come, first-served basis.

    You'll receive part of your payment amount:

    • at or near the beginning of the school year; and
    • another part near the mid-point of the school year.

    To receive each payment, you must submit a:

    This confirmation of full-time, post-secondary studies needs to be:

    • dated; 
    • submitted at the beginning and mid-point of the school year; and
    • no earlier than 1 month before classes start.

    Submit your documents to

    Do you have to pay back the Yukon Grant funding?

    You do not have to pay back the Yukon Grant if:

    • you're eligible to have received it in the first place; and
    • there are no changes during your study period.

    If anything changes during your study period you may have to pay back all or part of the Yukon Grant.

    For example:

    • you withdraw from your program; or
    • drop to part-time status.

    In these cases, you'll receive an invoice for any weeks you weren't registered in a full-time post-secondary program.

    If your situation changes, as soon as possible email or phone 867-667-5929 or toll free in Yukon 1-800-661-0408, ext. 5929.

    Do you have to report the Yukon Grant income on your tax return?

    You must report the Yukon Grant funding you received on your tax return. We will send a T4A to the permanent address you provide in your application.

    If you have not received a T4A for the previous year by February 28, phone 867-667-3555.

    Wondering how your T4A income will affect your tax return?

    Contact the Canada Revenue Agency.


If you have questions, email or phone 867-667-5929, toll free in Yukon 1-800-661-0408, extension 5929.