Register your child for kindergarten in Whitehorse
Kindergarten pre-registration for children in Whitehorse opens on Monday, February 11 at 9 a.m.
Most families choose to send their children to kindergarten, but it is not required.
Children must be 5 years old on or before December 31 to start kindergarten.
Children are required to attend the school in their attendance area. For the English program, this is normally the school closest to home. There are also French Immersion and Catholic school options.
Parent information night
Learn more about kindergarten pre-registration and Early French Immersion programs at a parent information night on Wednesday, February 6, 2019 at Selkirk Elementary School at 7 p.m.
Steps to pre-register
To pre-register your child for kindergarten, follow the steps below on the pre-registration date.
Please complete the form only once per child.
- Complete the pre-registration form.
- We will tell you which school your child is assigned to once we process the registration forms. If your child is not assigned to your school of choice, we'll contact you to discuss options. We assign children to schools on a first-come, first-served basis.
- The school will contact you to coordinate the remaining paperwork and share orientation session information and important school dates. You'll also need to show your child's birth certificate or other proof of age.
Request a school outside your attendance area
You need special permission to request your child attend a school outside their attendance area.
Before we can consider a request to attend a school outside your attendance area, you must first pre-register online for the school in your attendance area. We will only consider requests for out-of-area schools after all students have been assigned to schools in their area.
Contact your school superintendent at 867-667-5068.
Kindergarten options in Whitehorse
Early French Immersion is offered at Whitehorse Elementary School in downtown Whitehorse and Selkirk Elementary School in Riverdale. You can request either school, but we can't guarantee enrollment. Students have another chance to start French Immersion in Grade 1 and Grade 6.
- Learn more about our French Immersion programs
- Download our fact sheet about the kindergarten French Immersion pre-registration process
Christ the King Elementary School in Riverdale and Holy Family Elementary School in Porter Creek offer kindergarten programs. If your child is accepted, they will go to the Catholic school closest to your home.
Catholic schools have an additional registration process. There aren't always enough spaces in the Catholic schools for all the families who request them.
- Complete the pre-registration form online.
- Complete the Catholic school registration application and bring it with you to your interview.
- The school will invite you for an interview with the school principal where you will go over your registration application.
Register your child for kindergarten in rural Yukon
Most rural Yukon schools have 2 kindergarten starting points. Children can start K4 if they 4 years old or K5 if they are 5 years old on or before December 31 of that year.
Kindergarten can be a half-day or full-day program, depending on the school. Some schools include kindergarten in blended-grade classrooms.
Visit the school and complete the necessary forms. You'll have to show a birth certificate or other proof of your child’s age.
French First Language education
Students who qualify under the French as a First Language Instruction Regulation and the Admission to French First Language Schools Policy can attend École Émilie-Tremblay for French First Language education. Yukon's French First Language schools are managed by the Yukon Francophone School Board, Commission scolaire francophone du Yukon.
Call École Émilie-Tremblay at 867-667-8150.