Flu season generally runs from November to March. You can get a flu shot to help protect you and your family from catching the flu.
When can you get your flu shot?
Flu shots are now available.
You can make an appointment at the Whitehorse Health Centre. Appointments are for children under 5 years of age and their families. All others must receive their shot at a pharmacy.
In the communities
Contact your local community health centre to make an appointment for your flu shot.
Is it free?
The flu shot is free.
What to expect
With the COVID-19 pandemic, flu clinics will look different. Here is what to expect upon arrival at flu clinics across Yukon:
- possibility of longer wait times;
- screening for illness or exposure to COVID-19;
- physical distancing requirements;
- increased environmental cleaning;
- use of hand sanitizer provided at entry;
- standard post vaccine wait times will still be followed to keep you safe; and
- extended clinical hours to accommodate an increase in demand.
No other immunizations will be given at this year’s Whitehorse flu clinic. To check if you are up-to-date on your vaccinations phone the Whitehorse Health Centre.
How to prepare for this year’s flu clinic
Here are some tips to help prepare you for this year’s flu clinics:
- dress warm with layers that are appropriate for the weather ‒ there may be extended wait times before you're allowed in the clinic;
- come prepared with your Health Care card ready;
- be prepared to answer COVID-19 screening questions;
- wear clothing that allows easy access to your arm such as a T-shirt or tank top; and
- wearing a non-medical mask is recommended but is not mandatory.
Remember to always:
- practise the Safe 6;
- practise respiratory etiquette and proper hand-washing;
- follow signage; and
- respect staff and volunteers.
COVID-19 safety information.
Do not come to the flu clinic if you feel sick. If you have any symptoms of COVID-19 phone 811 or go to the COVID-19 Testing Assessment Centre (CTAC) to get tested. You'll have a chance to get the flu vaccine at another time.