What's the Community Tourism Destination Development Fund?
The Community Tourism Destination Development Fund will make $1 million available annually to provide support to capital and non-capital projects that focus on sustainable tourism development in their community or region.
You can apply to this program if you're a Yukon-based:
- First Nations government;
- First Nations development entity;
- municipality; or
- not-for-profit organization.
Eligible projects must:
- improve tourism related services; or
- improve tourism infrastructure.
Some examples of projects you could get funding for under this program if they meet our other funding criteria include:
- umbrella projects developed in partnership with other eligible applicants that create greater community impacts than individual projects;
- projects that facilitate destination development;
- capital projects, including those in the implementation stage, that aim at:
- bringing a visitor experience or service to market readiness;
- increasing an organization’s ability to provide visitor experiences or services; or
- increasing visitor experiences or services in a community or region.
- leasehold improvements where a minimum 5-year lease agreement is in place, in order to:
- bring a visitor-dependant business to market readiness; or
- increase the visitor experiences or services you offer.
View the full eligibility and fund details in our program guidelines.
There are 2 tiers of funding you can apply for. The program can cover up to 75 per cent of the total costs of the project and 50 per cent of eligible capital expenditures to a maximum of $375,000. The final amount we allocate depends on the applicant’s other sources of government funding.
Tier 1: Projects with budget up to $100,000
Tier 2: Projects with budget from $100,001 to $500,000
Funding decision process
We'll assess the applications against the program’s eligibility, requirements and criteria. Applications will be assessed on:
- relative community impact;
- immediate readiness or ability to begin contributing to destination development;
- projects that provide long-term sustainable benefits; and
- innovation in the approach to partnership and community building.
Once the intake is closed, the timelines for processing complete applications to a final funding decision are:
- within 30 business days for tier 1; and
- within 45 business days for tier 2.
The deadline to apply for tier 2 is 4:30 pm on November 15, 2023.
The deadline to apply for tier 1 is 4:30 pm on January 15, 2024.
Applications for both tiers open September 1 at 4:30 pm.
We recommend that potential applicants contact the program administrator to discuss ideas and for assistance with preparing applications.
Written applications must be postmarked on or before the day of the deadline. If the deadline falls on a weekend or holiday, it moves to the next business day.
A second round of intakes for each tier may be opened if any funds remain.
Apply to the Community Tourism Destination Development Fund
We recommend you contact us to discuss your project before you apply. Email email@example.com or phone 867-667-8723.