File: declaration of a business partnership

  1. What is a general partnership?
  2. Decide on a name
  3. After you decide on a name
  4. What if you do not send your documents in by the expiration date?
  5. How to prepare your documents
  6. After we receive your documents and payment

  1. What is a general partnership?

    A general partnership is a contractual relationship between 2 or more parties where they agree to join together to carry on a business.

    General partnerships are required by the Partnerships and Business Names Act to file a declaration of partnership to operate in Yukon. The declaration must be renewed every 3 years.

    A general partnership includes the following:

    • in general terms, each partner contributes something to the partnership; and
    • each partner is entitled to share in the profits or losses of the business as set out in the partnership agreement.


  2. Decide on a name

    A firm is persons who've entered into a partnership together. The collective name is a firm. The firm name is the name that they carry business out under.

    When deciding on a name for your business, remember the Naming Regulation does not allow legal elements. Refer to the regulations for more details.

    Guidelines for choosing a name

    • The minimum length of name is 5 characters.
    • The maximum length of name is 120 characters.
    • The name must have more letters than the total number of other characters in the name.
    • Obscene or objectionable names are not allowed.
    • Names must not mislead.
    • Names must not be the same as another organization’s.

    Names that need consent

    • Names that suggest government affiliation such as Government of Yukon or Yukon First Nation.
    • Names that suggest academic or technical affiliation such as university or college.
    • Names that suggest teaching of a trade such as a school, institute or academy.
    • Names such as accountant, dentist, engineer, or private investigator.
    • Names that suggest regulated financial business.

    See the full list of naming guidelines in the Naming Regulation.

  3. After you decide on a name

    To get a certificate of name reservation, you must submit the following to our office:


    If the proposed name complies with the requirements of the Naming Regulation, we'll issue a certificate of name reservation valid for 90 days. The process can take up to 5 business days.

  4. What if you do not send your documents in by the expiration date?

    The certificate of name reservation is valid for a period of 90 days. Within the 90 days, you can proceed to complete the required documents.

    Submit your application by the expiration date on the certificate. If you miss this date, you'll have to:

    • resubmit an application for name reservation; and
    • pay the $60 in-person or $40 YCOR fee again.

  5. How to prepare your documents

    After you get your certificate of name reservation, download and complete the Form 4 ‒ Declaration of partnership.

    How to fill out the form

    The information you provide on the form must be legible. Also make sure to complete each section.

    Section 1: Business name of partnership

    The name must match the name appearing on the certificate of name reservation.

    Section 2: Date partnership was formed

    This date can be a previous date or the date the partnership application was submitted. It cannot be a future date.

    Section 3: Business address of partnership in Yukon

    “Delivery address” refers to a physical location. Include an address or other description to identify a person’s home or place of business. This must not include a post office box.

    “Mailing address” refers to where you send mail. Include a complete mailing address, including the postal code. This address can be a person’s home, place of business or post office box.

    Section 4: Partner designated as representative of the partnership

    You don’t need to appoint a designated representative. If a designated representative is not appointed, you'll have to get signatures of all partners to:

    • sign renewals;
    • make changes to the declaration of partnership; and
    • complete other forms.

    Section 5: Partners of the partnership

    If you’re registering a partner as an individual, fill in the:

    • last name;
    • first name;
    • mailing address; and
    • sign and date.

    If you’re registering the partner as an entity (partnership or corporation), fill in the:

    • name of the entity;
    • its Yukon registry number (the entity must be registered);
    • first name and last name of the individual signing for the entity;
    • individual's relationship to the entity;
    • mailing address of the entity; and
    • sign and date the form.

    Submit your documents and pay your fees

    After the form is completed, submit it along with the fee. The cost of filing a declaration of partnership is $25.

    How to pay

    You can pay by:

    • cheque;
    • credit card;
    • cash; or
    • debit card.


    Provide a cheque in the appropriate amount made out to Government of Yukon.

    Credit card

    We accept Visa, Master Card and American Express payment at the office. If you send your documents by fax, email or mail, provide a phone number where we can reach you. This is so you can give us your credit card information.

    Cash or debit

    Payment in cash or with a debit card can only be made in person at our office: 307 Black Street, 1st floor.

    Deliver your documents to us

    You can drop off forms at our office or in our secure drop box in the lobby.

    When you put your forms in our secure drop box, you can include:

    • cash;
    • cheque; or
    • a payment information form to contact you for credit card payments.

    Submit your documents by mail, fax or email

    Our offices are open Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

    Phone: 867-667-5314, or toll free in Yukon 1-800-661-0408, extension 5314

    Fax: 867-393-6251

    Email: [email protected]


    Government of Yukon
    Corporate Affairs (C-6)
    Box 2703,
    Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6

  6. After we receive your documents and payment

    Processing time

    After we've accepted and filed all your documents, you'll receive a confirmation. The process can take up to 5 business days.

    The registration will be valid for 3 years. After that the partnership must be renewed before it expires. The renewal will be valid for another 3 years.

    Legal advice

    Staff at Corporate Affairs cannot provide any interpretation of legislation or operational advice of any sort regarding:

    • business corporations;
    • sole proprietorships;
    • partnerships;
    • cooperative associations; or
    • societies.

    If you need advice, talk with a professional such as a lawyer or an accountant.

    Our staff cannot provide legal advice or services. For legal matters, contact a lawyer or phone the Yukon Law Line: 867-668-5297, toll free 1-866-667-4305

    Business identifier numbers and taxes

    For information about business identifier numbers, taxes and charitable status, visit the Canada Revenue Agency.

    Business licences

    For information about business licences, phone the City of Whitehorse 867-668-8346, or email [email protected].


Our office is open Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at 307 Black Street, 1st floor in Whitehorse. For clients who prefer limited contact, a drop box is located in the main lobby.

Phone: 867-667-5314, or toll free in Yukon 1-800-661-0408, extension 5314

Fax: 867-393-6251

Email: [email protected]

Government of Yukon
Corporate Affairs (C-6)
Box 2703,
Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6