Pharmacist consulting with patient

Some pharmacists are offering extra services

From December 28, 2022, Yukon pharmacists are able to offer extra services for common minor ailments, travel medication, vaccines and quitting smoking. Check with your pharmacist to find out if they’re certified or have the training they need and have decided to provide these additional services. Respect your pharmacist’s decision.

Common minor ailments

Your pharmacist may be certified to assess and prescribe for common minor ailments. Ask your pharmacist if they offer this service and, if so, for which minor ailments.

Common minor ailments

Common name (medical term)                                                       

Acne – whiteheads, blackheads, pimples (mild to moderate acne)

Bladder infection (urinary tract infection – uncomplicated)

Bug bites – raised itchy rash (insect bites, urticarial)   

Canker sore (oral aphthae)               

Cold sore or fever blister (herpes labialis)   

Diaper rash (diaper dermatitis)   

Eczema (dermatitis)        

GERD or acid reflux (gastrointestinal reflux disease)

Hemorrhoids or piles (hemorrhoids)      

Menstrual cramps (dysmenorrhea)

Pink eye (conjunctivitis)

Pinworms and threadworms (pinworms and threadworms)

Shingles (shingles)

Sinus irritation – pollen or dust reaction (allergic rhinitis)

Strain, sprain (musculoskeletal sprains and strains)

Superficial skin infection common in children (impetigo)

Thrush (candidal stomatitis)

Vaginal yeast infection (vulvovaginal candidiasis)      

Preventable travel diseases

Your pharmacist may be certified to prescribe and administer travel medication, including vaccines. Ask your pharmacist if they provide this service and, if so, which preventable diseases they’ll prescribe and administer medication for.

Preventable diseases while you’re travelling

Altitude sickness


Hepatitis A                              

Hepatitis B                  



Travellers’ diarrhea

Typhoid or Salmonella Typhi

Yellow fever



Quitting smoking

Your pharmacist may be certified to prescribe medication to help you quit smoking. Ask your pharmacist if they provide this service and, if so, which designated drugs they’ll prescribe.

Designated drugs

Buproprion hydrochloride (for smoking cessation)    Zyban

Varenicline tartrate (for smoking cessation)              Champix


Give us your feedback