Apply for a burn permit

Anyone can apply for a burn permit outside Whitehorse city limits. If you plan to burn within city limits, contact the City of Whitehorse.

You are legally required to hold a valid permit to light an open fire. This includes:

  • burning grass, debris or brush in a burn barrel
  • lighting an open fire for any purpose other than a campfire, which does not require a permit
  • burning on all public and private lands

Apply for a burn permit

You can apply for a burn permit between April 1 and September 30. Permits are free.

Visit your local issuing office to get a permit.

Before you burn

Notify your local Wildland Fire Management office. Officers need to be aware of fire activity in the area.

  • Carmacks and Ross River: 867-993-5992
  • Haines Junction and Beaver Creek: 867-634-7061
  • Dawson and Old Crow: 867-993-5992
  • Mayo: 867-996-3200
  • Whitehorse and Teslin: 867-456-3831
  • Watson Lake: 867-536-2005

Check to make sure your permit is valid. Permits must be used in the allocated period of time. Your permit is also based on the materials to be burned.

Check the fire danger rating in your area. Permits are suspended if the rating is moderate, high or extreme.