Apply to hold a special event on a Yukon highway

You must have permission to hold an event on a Yukon highway or in a highway right-of-way.

Complete your application

  1. Complete and sign the application form. If you have additional information that helps describe your event, include it.
  2. Submit a map (scale 1:50,000) or a detailed sketch indicating the location and extent of work.
  3. Provide proof of insurance. Liability insurance for $2 million is required and you must name Government of Yukon as the “Additional Insured” on the insurance policy.

Submit your application

Submit your application and pay the $100 application fee.

  • In person: 1275-9029 Quartz Road in Whitehorse. We are open Monday to Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. You can pay by credit card, debit or cheque made out to Government of Yukon. You can also submit your application to your local road maintenance foreperson. They will forward your application to the Whitehorse office for review.
  • Email: We will provide details on paying the application fee when you submit your request.
  • Mail:
    Government of Yukon
    Transportation Maintenance Branch (W-12)
    Box 2703
    Whitehorse, Yukon, Y1A 2C6

    We accept cheques made out to Government of Yukon.

After you submit your application

  1. Applications take 4 to 6 weeks to process. We assess proposed events to make sure they will not impact public safety or highway maintenance.
  2. We may need to arrange a site visit with you, depending on the scope of your event.
  3. We will notify you to let you know if your application was approved or not.
  4. If your application is approved we will send you a list of conditions.
  5. Read, sign and agree to the conditions. Return the document to
  6. We will issue your permit with an expiry date, a copy of your original application and the signed conditions.
  7. You must follow all of the permit conditions during your event.

If you hold an event without permission, the RCMP can shut it down and you could be charged under the Highways Act for obstructing or interfering with the use of a highway.