Prepare your resume and cover letter
Make sure your resume is comprehensive but always targeted to the job you are applying for. List all of your skills, experience, education and technical knowledge that are relevant to the position. Emphasize those listed in the essential qualifications and requirements on the job posting.
Make sure you:
- prepare and submit your cover letter and resume in English.
- provide the dates (month and year) and locations of the work or experience, and what duties, responsibilities and successes you had.
- address any specific requirements in the posting, such as particular certifications, skills or affiliation with a preferred target group. For example, First Nations or persons with a disability.
- include special skills, if they are relevant, such as fluency in a second language.
- include relevant non-work experience, such as coaching a team or volunteering with a cultural organization.
- formatting your cover letter or resume. Once you add them to our e-recruitment system you'll be able to reformat them. You can't upload Microsoft Word documents or PDFs to our system.
- including your vital statistics (age, marital status or weight).
- including your social insurance number.
- offering irrelevant detail, such as unrelated hobbies or interests.
- including information that may be controversial (such as your reasons for leaving a past job, your former salary or your religious or political affiliation).
- attaching reference letters. List your references.
Review your cover letter and resume to make sure:
- they are easy to read.
- your words are thorough, but concise and to the point.
- your contact information is complete with legal first and last name.
- they are honest, and you have not exaggerated or misrepresented your qualifications.
- there are no typos, and your text is grammatically correct, with proper punctuation and spelling.
View a sample cover letter and resume
Use our sample cover letter, resume and job advertisement to better understand what the Government of Yukon looks for when considering cover letters and resumes for a job competition and what types of content you should include based on the qualifications in the job advertisement.
Add your resume
You can't upload your resume and cover letter as a Microsoft Word document or PDF. They may need reformatting once copied into the e-recruitment system.
- Login and navigate to ‘Career Centre’ > ‘My Resumes’. If you don't have an account, create your profile on the e-recruitment system.
- Select ‘Edit Resume.’
- Fill out all of the mandatory text fields (indicated with red text). Black text fields are optional. Copy and paste your resume text into the resume field. Use the 'Control + V’ command on your keyboard. You can also type it directly into the text field. Use the text editor formatting options for formatting.
- Select ‘Submit’ when you're happy with all the information you've entered. You can come back later and edit this at any time.
Edit your resume
- Login and navigate to ‘Career Centre’ > ‘My Resumes.’
- Select 'Edit Resume.'
- Update or edit the information in your resume profile that you'd like to change. Fields displayed in red are mandatory and fields displayed in black are optional.
- Select the 'Submit' button to save your changes.
Add your cover letter
Adding your cover letter is not part of the resume profile creation process. You'll be prompted to add your cover letter during the job application process. Once you've added a cover letter for 1 job application, you will have the ability to reuse it in future job applications.
Note: You can't upload your cover letter as a Microsoft Word document or PDF. You may have to reformat it when you paste it into the cover letter text box during the job application process.
For questions about preparing, adding or editing your cover letter or resume email E-Recruitment.email@example.com or phone 1-800-661-0408, ext. 5834.