Report human-wildlife conflict

Human-wildlife conflict is any contact between humans and wildlife that causes harm to the person, animal or property. Property includes buildings, equipment, camps, livestock and pets.

Common human-wildlife conflict

  • Bears, wolves, coyotes, cougars, foxes and porcupines roaming in residential areas.
  • Predation of livestock or pets.
  • Elk, caribou, moose, deer, sheep, goats or bison damaging crops and fences.
  • Beavers causing flooding.
  • Wildlife accessing improperly stored garbage, compost or recycling.
  • Wildlife living in or around residences.
  • Vehicle-wildlife collisions.

Report human-wildlife conflict

If you are involved in or witness human-wildlife conflict, you can:

Report animals killed in human-wildlife conflict

Prevention is the best way to avoid human-wildlife conflict, but sometimes incidents are unavoidable.

You can kill wildlife (except sheep, goats, deer, elk or birds) in self-defence and, in some cases, to defend your property. If you have to kill an animal, you must report it to a conservation officer.

Prevent human-wildlife conflict

Most human-wildlife conflict is caused by human behaviour, especially people leaving out attractants. If an animal can get an easy meal from improperly stored food or garbage, it will come back or look for the same kind of food source elsewhere. Animals that become conditioned to human-sourced food can become dangerous.

What you can do

  • Store garbage, recycling and compost indoors or in a bear-proof container.
  • Keep freezers indoors or in a secure shed.
  • Store fish and wild meat indoors after it has dried.
  • Block potential den sites, like crawl spaces under decks.
  • Empty or remove bird feeders during bear season (April to November) and clean up any spilled bird seed.
  • Clean grease and food residue from your barbecue after each use.
  • Store pet food and dishes indoors.
  • Collect pet waste and dispose of it with garbage.
  • Store gas, diesel and waste oil in well-sealed containers and keep them in a secure area.
  • Erect electric fencing around smokers and meat caches while in use, and clean them out with bleach afterwards.
  • Install electric fencing around chicken coops, beehives, gardens, livestock pens, garbage containers, dog kennels, compost piles, storage sheds and remote camps or cabins. See Reducing Wildlife Conflict with Electric Fencing: A Beginner’s Guide  for practical information on how to properly design and install an electric fence.
  • Find out what to do if bats move in to your home or building.

The government is working to reduce human-wildlife conflict

  • We properly manage attractants in parks, solid waste facilities, campgrounds, highway rest stops and more.
  • We educate residents and visitors about best practices for avoiding human-wildlife conflict.
  • We consider the impact of new developments on wildlife in decision-making and permitting.
  • We work with businesses and individuals to ensure their activities are aimed at reducing conflicts with wildlife, especially for those who work or play in the wild.
For assistance in reporting a human-wildlife conflict email or call the TIPP line: 1-800-661-0525.
You can also call our district Conservation Officer Services offices:
Whitehorse: 667-8005 or toll free in the Yukon: 1-800-661-0408, ext. 8005.
Dawson City: 993-5492
Watson Lake: 536-3210
Haines Junction: 634-2247
Mayo: 996-2202
Carmacks: 863-2411
Old Crow: 993-5492
Ross River: 969-2202
Faro: 994-2862
Teslin: 390-2685