Contamination is the presence of substances like petroleum hydrocarbons and metals in concentrations that may be harmful to human health and the environment.
The Government of Yukon maintains a database on contaminated sites in the territory. You can see this data on the Yukon contaminated sites information map, and request further details on a site-by-site basis.
Yukon contaminated sites information map
The Yukon contaminated sites information map lets you see the location of contaminated sites, and a summary of the contamination and what’s been done about it. You can search by address, community or within a specified radius.
For instructions, see How to use the Yukon contaminated sites information map.
We cannot guarantee that our map shows all contaminated sites, nor all the information for each site. The contaminated sites map is based on information the Government of Yukon receives and maintains about contamination. Because of historical reporting, database migration and differences between jurisdictional reporting, some data may be incomplete. If a site is not listed, this doesn’t mean there is no contamination on that property, or that none occurred since a cleanup took place.
If you see a mistake or omission, email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone: 867-667-5683 or toll free in the Yukon: 1-800-661-0408, ext. 5683.
Make a contaminated sites information request
If you want more details on a site, submit the following information to email@example.com:
- Your name
- At least 1 of the following:
- Site civic address;
- Site legal address; or
- GPS coordinates, if legal and civic address not available.
- Contaminated: the measured concentration of one or more contaminants at the site is above the standard(s) set in the Contaminated Site Regulation.
- Contamination: the presence of a substance in concentrations deemed to pose an unacceptable risk to human health and/or the natural environment In the Yukon, these concentrations are defined in the Contaminated Site Regulation.
- Map layer: a geographic data set containing features of a particular type, such as sites, customers or streets.
- Remediated: the measured concentration of one or more contaminants at the site was previously recorded to be above the standard(s) set in the Contaminated Site Regulation. The concentration of the contaminant has been measured since and was below the standard.
- Unknown: There is information about contamination on this site, but not enough to draw a conclusion on the status of the site.
Other sources of contaminated sites information
Cleaning up contaminated sites
See Managing a contaminated site for steps on how to deal with a contaminated site you are responsible for.